Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good deal on prosciutto for Costco members

2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    HeavyG said:
    He's really cutting those slices thin. I've been watching that for 15 minutes and he still has a lot of ham leg left.
    Took me 30 minutes to figure that out.

can't buy any around here. at least not for less than $20 a pound.  it's only a two week drying process, and i tend to do it in summer when it is more humid, so it doesn't dry too quickly.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    @Darby_Crenshaw I weighed my boneless ribeye science experiment.  Lost about a pound and a half.  Less than I thought.

I have a picture somewhere.

I think it's been 2 weeks, with life being a blur and all that, I'd need to check.

So, not being one to let the unexpected go unnoticed...I thought the weight loss was remarkable...insofar as I expected more. 

I jabbed my thermopen in the meat.  30F. 

I upgraded my manbearcave refrigerator a few months back and the thermostat was on 35F.  I had the old one dialed in with some external digital thermometers that I had not installed.   Apparently this shelf is at 30F. No beer was frozen.  The canaries were alive.  I did not notice the phase change, and the meat, it was still not frozen,...molal freezing point depression...and all that.  Same deal with the beer.  My yummy mold may not have had the same advantage.

Corrective action:  I bumped up the thermostat to 38.  I believe I retarded the dry-aging process, and that bums me out a bit. I am intrigued by the article I posted the other day where there was a combination (home) dry age then bag age...guy said it was the best he ever had.  And he was a food critic for the NY times I think.
    Reminder about this.
    So close to pulling the trigger....  keep going back and forth on it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    @Sea2Ski - We bought two.  Have not tried them yet.  Wedding next week in SA, we're bringing one.  One for us later.  Ingredients: Pork, salt.   Aged - 7 to 15 months. 

Buy.  It came out to about $5.50 a pound.  You can't go wrong.
    Thank you for the "heads up".  I will get a couple and hang them downstairs until Christmas.
    It is great to have you back in the forum!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Bought!   Thanks for the heads up @nolaegghead

@YukonRon it is not bad to be back, but man, NZ was incredible. Super nice people, it is beautiful, fantastic wines to go with their delicious food.  What else could you want? 
    Large and MiniMax

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,074
    Sea2Ski said:
    Bought!   Thanks for the heads up @nolaegghead

@YukonRon it is not bad to be back, but man, NZ was incredible. Super nice people, it is beautiful, fantastic wines to go with their delicious food.  What else could you want? 
    I have not been to NZ IN AGES! I loved that trip, although I was in the device at that time. The folks were over the top friendly, and at the time, the Kiwis were feeding me single malts from the South Island, repeatedly.
    The wine culture there, although not in its infancy, was not as robust as it has become over the years, since my visit.
    They had some great blancs and other whites which were world class at the time.
    NZ has everything, anyone would ever want to do outdoors. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Rugged, mountains, fjords. Beaches, name it. 
    My beautiful wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Ireland next year for Chtistmas. After that trip, I am hoping to go back to the SP, maybe NZ.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Well, mine came in today.  It weighed in at 10lbs 13oz still wrapped.

Now the fun part! Eating it!
    Large and MiniMax