Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited November 2015 in Baking
As many of you know I bake a lot. I just picked up the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day and have to say that it's the easiest method I have tried to bake bread! Great results.  I did a bunch of loaves today on the egg. The book is definitely worth buying and is a perfect way to start baking bread.

So, I mixed up a large double mix of the "master dough" exactly to the specifications. I added my sourdough starter as if it were leftover dough and the book describes how to handle it (mix it into the water basically) You don't need to do this if you don't have any.

I gave the dough about 4 hours to rise since it was so much dough. Then put it in the fridge last night. This morning when my brisket I was cooking finished I added a 2nd stone and removed my drip pan and cranked up to 450-500.  While the egg stabilized I made my loaves.  To compare I baked a few loaves of my ciabatta from all starter at the same time (the long loaves)

You can see my big ole bowl of homemade butter I just finished making!

Then I put on my ciabatta and started baking that off

Beautiful day on the River!!

And the money shot! It's our Thanksgiving meal at work! I took this and a Brisket that was AMAZING! No pics of the brisket though... sorry.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Beautiful loaves.  Really impressive.
    Phoenix 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Damn..That looks so good..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    The bread looks great. I love making bread as well.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thank ya'll. This bread came out airy and light. Much easier than my handmade sourdough. Not nearly as flavorful, but for how easy it is, it will become a staple at my house.  I'm going to experiment with using my oven with this bread, then it'll really become a daily bread.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Have you tried any no knead methods? This was my first.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I remember the first bread I made from that recipe. I used a Dutch oven inside. I was totally blown away by how good it came out. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Really looks great. Do you cook to visual or temp?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Have you tried any no knead methods? This was my first.
    That's all I do now. I feed my starter and set it out on the counter the night before I plan to bake. In the morning (usually about 5:30AM) I mix about 440g of bread flour, 1/2 cup of starter, 1tsp salt, and 345g water. I put this in a plastic bucket, cover it and go to work. If I'm around at noon the bread benefits from folding in the bucket 3 or 4 times, but it's not essential.
    About 5:30 when I get home, I pull it out and fold the dough a couple of times - then let it rest a few minutes before forming a round loaf. I let it rise in a floured banneton for about an hour to hour and a half.
    I bake on a pizza stone under a cloche. I usually start at 500 degrees. I remove the cloche after 20 minutes. Usually it has to cook another 12 minutes or so. The cloche is sold by Sassafras http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/781062/?catalogId=92&sku=781062&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&gclid=CLLX3IDNp8kCFQ8taQodowME0A&kwid=productads-plaid%5E63150629220-sku%5E781062-adType%5EPLA-device%5Et-adid%5E45527543983
    Here's a recent loaf:

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    I am totally buying that book!  Your bread looks amazing!

BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy That Ciabatta looks awesome. I need to learn how to make that. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Really looks great. Do you cook to visual or temp?
    Visual/sound. I thump the bottom.

I having been learning to bake from someone who learned the "old way" from an old spanish dude. So everything is about feel.  It's so much more difficult so I haven't had consistent results on anything but a ciabatta I have come up with. My sourdough is usually too dense.  I have only been baking for about a year and I'm really just starting to tip my toe in it. I have too many irons in the fire to really dedicate myself to taking my baking to the next level.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I am totally buying that book!  Your bread looks amazing!

Thank you So much. It's a wonderful way to start baking
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looks great man!  I totally suck at baking and dough work.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks great! Each loaf looks spot on :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @SciAggie are you maintaining a Starter culture? If so I can give you my process.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Do I sense any bruscetta making in the near future? :smile: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Impressive.  Been making pizza dough for a while and would love to get into bread making.  Thanks for the inspiration.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @SciAggie are you maintaining a Starter culture? If so I can give you my process.
    Yes, I keep my starter/sourdough. I just feed it and keep it in the refrigerator. I have been baking at least once a week and that's been often enough to keep my culture healthy. 
    What do you do?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Homebrewguy
    Options
    Looks amazing!
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Grim, the Bread Gods are smiling down with approval from above my friend. It looks spectacular :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SGH - I never pegged you as a polytheist.  I totally get it though ;)
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    SciAggie said:
    Yes, I keep my starter/sourdough. I just feed it and keep it in the refrigerator. I have been baking at least once a week and that's been often enough to keep my culture healthy. 
    What do you do?
    @SciAggie  Same thing. I try to take 2 tablespoons out and mix it with a table spoon of water and a tablespoon of flour and leave that on the counter for a few hours to get the yeast good and active before mixing my dough. But sometimes I don't even do that.

So to make the ciabatta. I start with taking a half cup of my starter and mixing it in a 1 gallon pail with a loose cover with about 3 cups water and 2 cups of flour.  I let that sit covered for 2 days. It will smell PUNGENT after two days. Like beer. It's delicious smelling.  

Use 4 cups of bread flour (high gluten) and about a tablespoon of kosher salt. The poolish (the starter mix you made 2 days ago) should have enough fluid so that you don't need any additional water. It's a wet dough.  I'll make a bunch of pics of each stage Thursday. 

To make a really nice open crumb you have to mix this by hand, but I have had good enough results using my dough hook on my kitchenaid. If you are mixing by hand you want a small round stiring device. I use the stick end of a stainless paddle I use to stir crawfish.  You want to make large round movements and cross the center every now and then. It's hard work to do right. You want long gluten strands.  I have just been throwing it in my kitchenaid and the crumb is closer but the bread is still really nice.

This bread is a soft texture open bread with a rich sourdough flavor. It's by far my best reviewed bread so far.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Good news. Dutch oven in my electric oven worked great. 20min with lid on then 15 with lid off. Bad news... the handle on the lid of a 450 degree dutch oven burns bare fingers really badly. I can't believe I burned myself this badly the day before Thanksgiving prep day.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    The burn part 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Dislike
    yeah, its no bueno.  It's amazing how bad burns can hurt. Blistered on my thumb immediately. 4 fingers total. 2 already showing blisters. Looks like ill be trying to sleep with my hand in a bucket
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Looks great!! how did u make the butter?

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy
    Sorry to hear about the hand brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Jebpot said:
    Looks great!! how did u make the butter?
    Do you have a kitchen aid mixer?

Just whip heavy whipping cream on high till the butter seperates out (make sure you cover the top with paper towels and that those paper towels don't get caught in the beater). The better the cream, the better the butter. But any cream will be better than typical shelf butter.

The cream will turn to whipped cream first then start breaking down to a cottage cheese consistency. After about 15 minutes? of beating the solid and liquid will seperate violently. You need to be paying attention or it can quickly become a mess. 

Turn the mixer off when this happens. You should have a big clump of what looks just like butter stuck to the beater and a bit floating around in the milk. Time to strain the milk and keep the butter (cheese cloth or a sieve makes this next process easier) I keep the liquid and use it in anything that calls for butter milk. 

Now, using ice water rinse the butter till its free of any remaing milk. I fill a glass of ice water over and over and pour it over the butter to rinse the gray water (milk) out. Keep rinsing the butter over and over till it runs clear. Ice water keeps the butter from melting away and getting messy. Next you need to get as much water out as possible. I wrap paper towel and kind of ring it. Then I put it back in my beater and spin out more water. Don't go too crazy, just get it mostly dry. The ice water will have the butter pretty firm.

Finally it's time to put your butter back in the mixer and beat till creamy and add salt to taste. i put a teaspoon of kosher salt per pint of cream.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Thatgrimguy
    Sorry to hear about the hand brother. 
    Thanks Scotty