Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice needed - anyone have a meat slicer for bacon they like?

Options
2»

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
     That's some fantastic bacon :o Out of curiosity, what do you think your all-in $/lb came out to?  I would anticipate somewhere around $3.50/lb versus the bacon you buy for $6.99/lb. at the grocery store (~$2.50/lb for pork belly, $0.50/lb for curing ingredients, $0.50/lb due to weight loss during smoking...sound about right)?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @northpilot06 That's pretty close.  Curing ingredient cost is very low, can't imaging I use more than 50 cents worth for a whole belly.  The time required for making it isn't that great, and the quality is outstanding, which pushes the balance towards making my own.
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  that's some damned fine looking bacon.  awesome slicer.  i want...
    @bgebrent well, at least the victorinox is good practice making a nice cut.... and easier than a 10 blade, right?

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
     That's some fantastic bacon :o Out of curiosity, what do you think your all-in $/lb came out to?  I would anticipate somewhere around $3.50/lb versus the bacon you buy for $6.99/lb. at the grocery store (~$2.50/lb for pork belly, $0.50/lb for curing ingredients, $0.50/lb due to weight loss during smoking...sound about right)?
    I paid $9 per lb for the belly. It's all natural (whatever that means) Berkshire. Yes it makes a huge difference. I do not like the $2.99lb stuff from restaurant depot or Costco.  Thin, 95% fat, and does not taste good. Plus this was trimmed up and center cut so there is almost no waste. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I made bacon once, about 5 years ago. Cost about the same as store bought bacon. Tasted the same too. Good, but nothing special. Needless to say, I never bothered again.

As for a slicer, I have a 1940something Globe commercial model (with about a 12" throat) though I didn't have it when I did the bacon. It's the size of a small car. Unfortunately, it's one of those things I bought after reading one too many slicer threads on here. It's much too large for my needs - actually, I really don't HAVE a need, I just wanted one. Oh, and it's a PITA to clean! At least it was cheap, about $100 as I recall.

Right now, it's just taking up counter space that I really could use for something worthwhile. Moral; if you have plenty of room and will actually use a slicer more than twice a year, buy one. Otherwise, do what I should have done...get a nice brisket knife.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  first bacon i made was with some of that 'fancy' belly.  not sure i could taste a difference. but i showed a picture of it to a guy in the meat business and the first thing he said was 'that's a good quality belly, where'd you get it?' 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I found a univex ax s10 slicer for 75 bucks, but no sharpener on it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @northpilot06 That's pretty close.  Curing ingredient cost is very low, can't imaging I use more than 50 cents worth for a whole belly.  The time required for making it isn't that great, and the quality is outstanding, which pushes the balance towards making my own.
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  that's some damned fine looking bacon.  awesome slicer.  i want...
    @bgebrent well, at least the victorinox is good practice making a nice cut.... and easier than a 10 blade, right?

Much easier than a 10 brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    roro_c said:
    I found a gently used Berkel 827A 12" inch from a restaurant that is closing down.  he wants $250 for it.  it looks like they are $1200-1400 brand new.  Good deal?
    Yes, if it is intact, and in good working condition.

Found a 12"Hobart with extra knife that came out of an elementary school for$300.  Bought a $90 Craftsman engine cart, and wheel it in and out of storage to use in the kitchen.

Worth every penny.

Can't list a playa's price of Berkwood per lb, but I keep it real with water, kosher, curing salt, brown sugar, white sugar, and molasses.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I picked up a Berkel 818 on CL for $300. Little bit of cleaning and lubricating and she's an automatic bacon slicing machine. Will do everything I ever need, and more. Drawback is that it weighs over 150#, so I had to buy a steel rolling cart to keep it on. Lives in the guest bedroom closet - just off the kitchen. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.