Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Biggest Roasting Pan that can fit on LBGE?

Options
So I am fortunate enough to work for an employer who gives out Turkeys to everyone on T-giving.  This year I ended up with a 21lb bird.  I was always planning on doing it on the Egg but after a quick 'fit test' on the grate I might have to regroup.  If I sit in on the grate then the bird is going to hit the top of the dome.  So I think I am going to have to stick it on the platesetter.  

The square aluminum drip pans I usually use will be too small as the turkey measures about 16" long and 12" wide.  Does anyone have any recommendations of a good/cheap roasting pan that will fit?

Also, since I'm going to have to sit the pan on the PS, I have to watch not scorching the drippings.  I've tried foil balls as a barrier in the past but that hasn't worked.  Anyone know where I can get those ceramic feet I've seen on this site every once in a while?

Thanks for the 'last minute' help.
North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• I've looked for the ceramic feet as well, but cannot find. I bought a 12"x14" cookie cooling rack to provide some air circulation between the plate setter and the drip pan. $3 at Meijer...Best of luck with the big bird!
    Egging in Indy...
  • Chris8938
    Options
    I thought of this as well.  I was thinking of taking out the platesetter and putting the pizza stone on the grate.  Then figuring out an air gap of maybe putting liquid and veggies in the pain and raising the bird on some type of rack.  I haven't figured out my logistics on this yet, so I am interested in any ideas as well.  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Anyone know where I can get those ceramic feet I've seen on this site every once in a while?
    I don't think that BGE makes the little green feet any longer. However you can these from Primo.

You can get these from Kamado Joe.

You can get these from any Lowes or Home Depot.

These must be earned. When you reach the status of Brisket God, they are given to you by one of the Thunder Gods as your reward.

I hope that this helps in your pursuit of feet my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I found this 16 x 11 pan on Amazon and it works.  It is a lasagna pan but it seemed to work fine.  I already had a V-rack so I didn't really want another pan with a rack. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5IL5V4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

If you measure between the legs of the plate setter it is right about 12 inches.  I think a 16 x 12 pan might fit but it would be tight.  

FWIW I used the BGE feet and I still got some scorching of the drippings.  The problem is the pan will still hang over the plate setter.  I was thinking next time I might try to put something under the pan like a cookie sheet or fire bricks.   I still managed to get lots of good drippings I just left some of the burn parts in the pan.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chadpsualum
    Options
    SGH said:

These must be earned. When you reach the status of Brisket God, they are given to you by one of the Thunder Gods as your reward.

I hope that this helps in your pursuit of feet my friend. 
    Thanks @SGH ... since I can't get the Thunder God set on Amazon, I'll probably go with one of the other options.  Appreciate the help.

Good recommendation on that pan @SmokeyPitt.  I think that'll do the trick.  Thanks.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,915
    edited November 2015
    Options
    In lieu of ceramic feet just go to a hardware store and buy 3 copper elbows - say the 1" ones.