Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone - SIMPLE grease trap fix + Accessories

Options
2»

Comments

• cmclean
    Options
    My favorite accessory by far is a stainless steel top.  I had the original top for my first two years and then made a SS version at work and haven't looked back  We keep the blackstone outside 24/7 now at out lake house and it requires zero upkeep and cleaning is super easy.  Blackstone offers a stainless steel model and if I could go back in time we would have just bought it to start.

Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cmclean said:
    My favorite accessory by far is a stainless steel top.  I had the original top for my first two years and then made a SS version at work and haven't looked back  We keep the blackstone outside 24/7 now at out lake house and it requires zero upkeep and cleaning is super easy.  Blackstone offers a stainless steel model and if I could go back in time we would have just bought it to start.

Looks great, and FYI, the Black Stone SS model just has a SS frame, the top is the same.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cmclean
    Options
    DMW said:
    cmclean said:

Looks great, and FYI, the Black Stone SS model just has a SS frame, the top is the same.
    Really I had no idea.  I just saw the SS listing and assumed the cook top was.  If anyone here works for blackstone take not you should offer the SS top
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I just got my email back from Blackstone and the response was quick and helpful!!!  Great folks   I used the metal part of a binder clip yesterday and it worked great fer a quick fix.  Will do a perm solution soon... 
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I saw this thread pop up, and thought I'd mention that the fix has held for almost 2 years now.  

I still use my BS almost daily - one of the best purchases ever.

Phoenix 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    My first cook of 5# of bacon made me engineer a fix for the grease.  Took a 1/4" NPT tap and cut some threads in the hole, then screwed in a 1/4" pipe nipple. Took the Dremel tool to the top, and ground it to match the contour of the drain. Instant perfection. Drains everything into the drip cup.  I would think Blackstone would do this to every grill they sell.  You can push a lot of grease to the drain, and it all goes in the catch cup.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This took about 5 secs, and was practically free.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    caliking said:

This proves that the old adage "where there is a will, there is a way" is certainly true. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    caliking said:

That's what I do, easy cleanup.  Simply chuck the can and replace with a new one as it fills up.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Smokin_Trout
    Options
    caliking said:

That would cost you 10 cents in Michigan 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:

Damn, that's a 2 dollar beer here in Texas...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

5 cents in other states. Time to move.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    caliking said:

You could let the grease harden and still return it.  The can machine will still read the barcode!  You would be doing them a service by lubricating the moving components of the machine.  WIN WIN!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Unless I've missed them I have seen no ideas for the 17" BlackStone. Granted it has a pull out drawer for the grease to go into, but since residual grease would be a real bug and raccoon attraction I never let mine stay. I've tried lining the "drawer" with foil, but that's a pita. So what I do now is fold up a couple paper towels and put them in the bottom of the drawer. That makes clean up a little easier, but I wonder if anyone has come up with a better idea for the 17". TIA
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    RRP said:
    Unless I've missed them I have seen no ideas for the 17" BlackStone. Granted it has a pull out drawer for the grease to go into, but since residual grease would be a real bug and raccoon attraction I never let mine stay. I've tried lining the "drawer" with foil, but that's a pita. So what I do now is fold up a couple paper towels and put them in the bottom of the drawer. That makes clean up a little easier, but I wonder if anyone has come up with a better idea for the 17". TIA
    No, just drain and wipe out with a paper towel.
    Muffin tins might work?

You bring up another valid reason I keep it away from the camper..attracting coons, bugs, and what have you. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks, buddy. I bought a package of "tiny foil pans" at GFS thinking I might be able to further collapse down the neck, but by the time I cut, trimmed, molded and cussed at the result I went back to my simple folded napkins solution.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Anyone have a good recipe for getting grease stains out of the concrete?? Dawn didn't do squat... :/  were about to ting oil the whole thing just to blend them in. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!