Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy HI-Q

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I cleaned out my LBGE a few days ago, and in the process noticed that my [second] OEM fire grate was beginning to break up (cracks through several of the holes and warping in different directions), so I swapped it out for the HI-Q that I bought a few years ago and had stopped using.  I cooked on it tonight.  My normal lighting method (old bacon draining paper towel in the center of the lump) usually has the egg up to temp in 10-20 minutes.  I lit it as usual, checked it in 10min, and found the temp was off-scale and flames shooting up through the top!  I'd forgotten how much better the air flow was with the HI-Q.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Why did you quit using the High Q when you first tried it?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    SGH said:
    Why did you quit using the High Q when you first tried it?
    Also curious here.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    The much larger "holes" in the High-Q fire grate would let more of the small lump chips fall through.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2015
    njl said:
    The much larger "holes" in the High-Q fire grate would let more of the small lump chips fall through.
    They will still ignite and burn so it's not really any lump lost my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    4 Eggs & 4 Hi Q's. Outstanding product and no lump lost at all. It all burns
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• njl said:
    If you're cleaning those that fall thru out, you're probably cleaning more than necessary. At least fo me. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    njl said:
    If you're cleaning those that fall thru out, you're probably cleaning more than necessary. At least fo me. 
    What he said. I used to be a clean egg crazy. Now it's rake a few ashes out every now and then and light. Don't over think it. And my flowers love the ashes. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA