Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoking cheese with soldering iron (pic heavy) - forum oldtimers may find this boring!

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,528
edited November 2015 in Appetizers
Just thought I'd share it with folks not familiar with this technique.
Pictures are self-explanatory, I use a small 30/35 watts soldering iron, a larger unit could generate too much heat. You can mix n match choice of wood chips. Total smoke time about 1.5 hours, check can and replenish wood chips if needed about half way through. I usually let the cheese mellow at least 2-3 weeks so it won't taste like ash tray. Beware, let the cheese mellow in a spare fridge or else!

canuckland

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looking good brother. Smoked cheese is one of.....well you know ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm thinking cheese this weekend. Can you vac seal immediately, or does it need to mellow in the fridge first?
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @SGH Thanks!
    @theyolksonyou Honestly I'm not sure if it makes a difference, I usually cling wrap and let it mellow before vac sealing. Sorry that's not much help. 
    canuckland
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I'm thinking cheese this weekend. Can you vac seal immediately, or does it need to mellow in the fridge first?
    I usually throw in ziploc for a little while then vac seal. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Can everybody get their cheese smoked and then let's not discuss for a few weeks?  I've got 20 packages food savered that I'm trying hard not to think about.

Phoenix 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    blasting said:

Can everybody get their cheese smoked and then let's not discuss for a few weeks?  I've got 20 packages food savered that I'm trying hard not to think about.

haha, if you smoke a new batch before the previous batch runs out, you won't have this problem  ;)
    canuckland
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

haha, if you smoke a new batch before the previous batch runs out, you won't have this problem  ;)
    This is my first real attempt at this, but if it turns out, I'll get another batch going right after I sample it.

btw, I like your solder gun & tin can trick.  I would have copied you if I had seen it before I got that amazing smoker tray.
    Phoenix 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @blasting , didn't realize it's your first, hope you'll like it like the rest of us! You can tell by the rusty can that I've been using it for a while, I find it convenient, cheap and reliable. 
    canuckland