Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turketta and More (pic heavy)

bob.bud
bob.bud Posts: 297
Family tradition is to allow the birthday person to choose a meal to cook or a restaurant to visit. These days, with an Egg in the family since May, the choice for a home cooked meal has become more prevalent. Not that it did not happen often before, but it is pretty much a guarantee these days.

On the menu, Turketta - a variation of Porchetta (porketta), some bruschetta, green beans, and spaghetti (trying the Pioneer woman's recipe).

1230 - KAB shooken, Rockwood added, and fire lit

Ordered a bone in, skin on turkey breast from the butcher and asked them to debone the breast. Here it is after I cut away the filets and sliced into the breast at a 45 to fold it out and lay it flat (the filets have been placed at the 12 and 6 o'clock position to make a flat piece of turkey breast):

Salt, red pepper flakes, and fennel (fennel was ground in the mortar and pestle):

A paste of pancetta (browned in skillet and allowed to cool before adding it to processor with the remaining pasted ingredientsI, garlic, sage, parsley, rosemary and lemon zest was then spread on the breast, about this time (approx 1250) I added the AR with the oval stone in place and closed the lid to heat to 325:

rolled:

flipped and spiced up:

bound up breast:

1330 or somewhere around that time, the egg is dialed in and sitting at 325 and the turketta is placed in the egg (recipe called for 40 to 45 mins) to allow the skin to crisp and brown up (missed taking a pic), it was then pulled to wrap so it could be draped with 12 (I used 14) pieces of bacon (string was removed first of course:

back on the egg @ 230 ish for 30 or 40 mins to get to an IT of 140:

Pulled at 1510 with an IT of 140 and now time to raise egg temp to 400:

1520 ish, egg rock solid at 400:

Turketta pulled after 10 or so minutes on the egg at 400 (poor image with the iPhone camera). This thing needs to rest for 40 mins:

During all of this cook time, bruschetta was being made and chilled. Spaghetti sauce was made and simmered, some green beans were made, and finally a baguette was toasted. Here is a a few shots of the turketta sliced (kind of looks like a spider has perched itself in our meal):

A plate of bruschetta:

All plated up:

How about a Classico Reserva to go with the meal?:

And finally to finish off the celebration for my wife, a cassata cake:

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta

Comments