Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Pime Rib Roast, Awesome

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
edited November 2015 in Beef
I had a 2 Bone 6 lb prime Rib Roast in the freezer I have been waiting to cook for awhile.  So we invited a few neighbors over for dinner.  They did the sides.  Cooked it indirect at 360 dome and 420 great in my roasting pan for about 2.5 hours.  I thought it was completely thawed, but the internal temp was 32 when I started.  Nice thing is I have leftovers.  Rubbed it with olive oil, John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper and Oakridge BBQ Dominator Sweet Rib Rib.  The flavor was awesome.  There center was a little rare, but I still are it, the other two pieces I cut for everyone else was medium rare.  The mashed potatoes were basically a loaded baked potato in pie.  Great stuff.  The veggies were zucchin,i onions and some pork.  I put the ribs back on tell they were 195 and probed easy.  Looking forward to those.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    My goodness I would love a plate. Looks fantastic.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Nice hunk of beef!  Looks delicious!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Damn, this must be a Prime weekend for sure.  This place sure costs me money.  Now I have to go to the butcher store tomorrow.  Sure wasn't planning on that, but how can I not after seeing these great Prime posts today.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Very nice roast. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Looks Great!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks fantastic!  One of my very favorites.  Well done brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Very nice. Regular Sunday meal? Everyone doing prime rib. I'm really jealous. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mighty fine looking grub. Solid all the way around my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    Damn, this must be a Prime weekend for sure.  This place sure costs me money.  Now I have to go to the butcher store tomorrow.  Sure wasn't planning on that, but how can I not after seeing these great Prime posts today.
    Its half of a 4 bone I bought after Christmas last year on sale at $5 a pound.  I sealed it up with my Food Saver and was impressed how good it still was.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Ladeback69 - Above you said that you cooked indirect at 360. I'm presuming that this is without a final sear. If this is the case, how did you like it compared to ones finished with a sear? I myself can't really tell any difference. Just curious as to your thoughts.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    @SGH, you are correct sir I did not do a reverse sear on it.  The only ones that get to enjoy it is the ones that get the end cuts.  It taste fine to me without a sear.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I want a plate!  Bravo Sir :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    It taste fine to me without a sear.
    Agree 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Ladeback69 - I have ran them as high as 325 myself with exceptional results. Now that you have succeeded with 360, I may attempt one at 425-450 just to see. 

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Now that is a meal for the books! Looks fantastic.

rookie question... But what prices per pound do they issuable run (I'm in Florida, and I do understand that meat is regionally priced)

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    SGH. Dry it and you will get a beautiful crust at 250 for a few hours 

no need for higher temps, and you get a better cross section of rare/midrare
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    Options
    SGH. Dry it and you will get a beautiful crust at 250 for a few hours 

no need for higher temps, and you get a better cross section of rare/midrare
    I have done the low temps with excellent results before. It's my method of choice. Just curious how one cooked at real high temps would turn out and compare to the ones cooked low. You are correct that the cross section is more consistent with the low and slow method vs the high temps. I may cook one at 400 just to see how it compares to the ones I normally cook. Being up in age, I'm defiantly in the low and slow crowd but I do enjoy experimenting from time to time. Here is one we did a while back as a test at 325. Not great looking, but it tasted great all the same. The one I cook for Christmas will be cooked at 225-250 though. The pic clearly illustrates your point about the cross section. The medium high temp of 325 produced an abrupt change from rare to medium rare, and medium rare to well done. This would have certainly been less prevalent if I would have ran 225-250 instead of 325. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks fantastic!  One of my very favorites.  Well done brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I just saw a whole mess of prime rib at the store today and started jonesing for some... and now I see this. Methinks one will come home with me soon :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Now that is a meal for the books! Looks fantastic.

rookie question... But what prices per pound do they issuable run (I'm in Florida, and I do understand that meat is regionally priced)

They can cost between $12-$18 per pound I bought this 4 bone for around $7 a pound. Good stuff. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • matt121966
    Options
    looks a little rare but still awesome. congrats

Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas