Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any alternatives to the BBQ Guru? That thing is expensive!

Options
I want to get one but they are expensive at $350 bucks!  Are there any other alternatives that work just as good but are less pricey?
XL Big Green  Egg 

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Several inexpensive units out there, but take a look at the Flame Boss 100 for a direct replacement of the Bubba Guru and the 200 for an upgrade to wifi control.  Don't look only at MSRP, there are several places that sell the Flame Boss units for a good price ... as well as the Guru offerings.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• MelSharples
    Options
    Contact @stlcharcoal, great wealth of information on the Guru, Flame Boss, and others. I bought my Flame Boss 200 from him at a great price and have enjoyed it ever since.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,903
    Options
    You might also want to consider one of these non-electronic damper devices called a Tip-Top. Heat regulates the spring which opens and closes the damper. About $30.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Happy with the Stoker. Yes, more expensive but, I've been happy with the quality and performance. 
    Occasionally you'll find a pit controller for sale on CL or elsewhere used or new. In fact at times people on the forum sell theirs. 
    Initial purchase only hurts once. What you've gotta ask yourself is what do you want to control and monitor with it. That'll determine the best suited unit for your wants. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Downr@nge
    Options
    Thanks guys, will check your suggestions out!
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    edited October 2015
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like the simplicity of the PartyQ when I need it.  I only want that during over nighters for safety, that is all.  Everything else falls what @nolaegghead  said.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,415
    Options
    Following up with @RRP's above post-does anyone know if the  Tip Top Temperature controller has been adapted to fit on the LBGE? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Contact @stlcharcoal, great wealth of information on the Guru, Flame Boss, and others. I bought my Flame Boss 200 from him at a great price and have enjoyed it ever since.
    +1 on this.  If you want a simple controller that is inexpensive and works great ask him about the Pitmaster IQ.  It is not the prettiest thing but it works perfectly. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Following up with @RRP's above post-does anyone know if the  Tip Top Temperature controller has been adapted to fit on the LBGE? 
    There really is no "adaptation" to it as it merely sits on the dome! OTOH if you have a SmokeWare then remove the mushroom and sit the Tip-Top inside. That way when you open the dome the Tip-Top doesn't fly off.

• Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I'll second @RRP on the TTT, I've had mine for 6 months or so, and it works great, especially for $30.  I can go 12 hours and stay withing 10 degrees.  Only downfall I've seen is you have to put an umbrella over it if it rains.  The cold rain tricks it and will open the vent up.

@lousubcap they sent me a piece of 2"x18-20" wide silicone tape that I wrap around the TTT and chimney, then I put the silicone band that came with the TTT around the tape, and it seals it up, and it stays on if you have to open the lid.  It is not the most sophisticated adapter, but it works extremely well.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @RRP and @Wowens- thanks for the info.  Onward and upward.  Have a great day.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Has anyone tried the TTT on a kettle? Does it work well there?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Actually, Michael, they show it on a Weber in their videos. I was even under the impression it was made specifically for a Weber, and somebody said "hey, I'll use in perched on a BGE dome."
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options

never tried it but when they first started out they were designed with that rubber gasket to sit over the whirly vent on a weber cover. thats the reason it doesnt fit the ceramics right now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    Buy once cry once! I was looking at the Flame Boss and BBQ Guru probes the other day and the Flame Bosses were better built from what I saw.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I found a good deal on the Guru DigiQ DX2 online and was fortunate enough that my local Egg dealer was willing to match the price.  Can't hurt to ask!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I actually have a digiq adapter so I can use it on the weber. Kinda sorta works, after you drill a large hole in the kettle. Not as well as on the egg though. Was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience with the ttt on the kettle. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bought a digi-q and sold it. Next bought a party-q and gave it away. Do what Nola said. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I'm with Nola also.  When I want an "automated" cook that is controlled, I fire up the Traeger! I love the old school control on my eggs.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I truly admire the architects who can build 10+ hr fires that don't go rogue and require frequent attn.   for me, I  love the convenience and low stress of using a blower/pit controller to hold say 275 for 10'ish hrs of Boston butt goodness.  While I know how it works and what a PID loop is, the science behind it coercing fire to behave is kinda magic.  The dman plot on my ipad of temp changes over 8-10 is usually so flat it's freaky.  I'm glad I spent the dough on it and the AR.  The tech (and this forum) made me able to produce BBQ that wifey/I prefer to commercial stuff.. Shocking
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    Options
    Flameboss 200.  @stlcharcoal is your best bet to buy from.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Run, don't walk, away from BBQ Guru products.  Their customer service, in my opinion, leaves a lot to be desired.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Well the bbq guru cyberq was out before the flame boss so that's what I went with.
    never needed cust. support but aside from having to set my wifi password scrolling thru a-zA-Z1-9 etc it wasn't hard.   If you really want to monitor outside your wifi range, I'd go flame boss and their remote serving setup.  Setting up port forwarding to do that on your router/cable modem CAN be a pita..
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a digiQ but I don't use it because it's super easy to just adjust the vents.  Sure you might be 20 degrees off in the morning but I don't low and slow for breakfast.  
    Options
    I guess some of us just don't have,or have yet to master that knack.  I sure did try for a goodly while after egg purchase.  I just prefer the no brainer route.  To each his own
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a digiQ but I don't use it because it's super easy to just adjust the vents.  Sure you might be 20 degrees off in the morning but I don't low and slow for breakfast.  

I too don't usually have a problem setting the egg for an over night cook and keeping it with in 20 to 30 degrees from where I started.  I try to set it a 225 to 230 to start with and by morning it is between 250 to 260 and I just let it ride.  That is why I haven't bought a pit controller yet and am looking at maybe just getting the Tappaque for
    $200, but then for another $100 or so you have the pit controller and temp monitoring.  Tough decision for me and I need other things more right now so I will be waiting for a while.  When I am reading I will be contacting @stlcharcoal for one.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Just ordered the above mentioned TTT.  For $30 (and free shipping) I will give it a go.  Assessment down the road. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @swordsmn ... you don't have to apologize for wanting to use a controller.  Ignore that playground bully @nolaegghead's taunts.  In fact, ask him why he can't do his woodworking with hand tools ... after all one can create some fantastic objects with them.  And, why does he have so many high priced, fancy means of ground transportation when a simple minivan will provide great service.  And, ask him why all of his water activities don't center around a 12 row boat ... after all, that's all my grandfather used.  Darn bully.

Cheers and good morning to my friend @nolaegghead

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max