Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WiFi Pit Controllers/WiFi Temp Probes (Tappeque/Stoker)

Options
OK, I have seen a lot of different types of both of these talked about on the forum here and I was just wondering who likes what the best and why?  I have an Ivation dual probe that is ok, but I want something with 4 probes and is WiFi.  Bluetooth just doesn't have the range to be worth it to me.  I am liking the Tappeque http://www.tappecue.com/that is out now and seen some people at the American Royal BBQ using them this weekend and liking it.  I was thinking though if I am going to spend $200 I might as well spend a little more and get a pit controller with it.  I like the looks of the Stoker, with it having 6 ports for probes or blowers is a good possibility.  https://www.rocksbarbque.com/index.html  Not sure SWMBO will like the price tag of either of these, but I like that they both are WiFi, but does the Stoker also give you a print out of your cook after it is done?  That's what is nice about the Tappeque and you can be out running errands and keep a track of your cook.   

Let me know what you think.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I have the Stoker Wifi and really like it.  You download and run the StokerLog software on your PC and you can take a screen shot any time you like.  It doesn't automatically print but after you take a screenshot you could just open it and print it if you want.  I keep all the screenshots in folders based on the type of cook. 
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Don't forget about the FlameBoss 200 with wifi!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Yes, but it only has 2 probes and it is about the same price as the Stoker.

This what the Tappeque does for graphs and you can send it to yourself or others in an email. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    =) I have a feeling that more probes will be coming in the near future......

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Yes, but it only comes with two probes as well.  It may have ports for 6, they're $35 a piece for the 4ft cables and go up from there. 

• Ladeback69
    Options

Yes, but it only comes with two probes as well.  It may have ports for 6, they're $35 a piece for the 4ft cables and go up from there. 

Yes, I know but at least it is an option.  I'm not sure I need a pit controller though, Jonathon.  I haven't really had an issue keeping the temp where I want it that much, that's why I am leading to the Tappeque.  That's why I haven't gotten one from you yet.  Didn't you say Pit Master IQ was looking at developing a WiFi unit?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

Yes, I know but at least it is an option.  I'm not sure I need a pit controller though, Jonathon.  I haven't really had an issue keeping the temp where I want it that much, that's why I am leading to the Tappeque.  That's why I haven't gotten one from you yet.  Didn't you say Pit Master IQ was looking at developing a WiFi unit?

Not WiFi, going to be Bluetooth.  They have some beta testing going on right now.  It will have two food probes rather than one.

Tappeque looks cool.  Could have four Maverick 733's for the price though--that's 8 probes.  LOL
  • Ladeback69
    Options

Tappeque looks cool.  Could have four Maverick 733's for the price though--that's 8 probes.  LOL
    Yes, but if its anything like the Ivation I have that 300' it says it will reach is line of site and will travel through only one wall. I would rather have the Marerick ET 735 for $80 and it has 4 probes if was to do that, but it only comes with two.  It isn't getting a very good rating on Amazon, but I also want something that is WiFi.  Bluetooth has a limited range.  I am no hurry.  Just seeing what all think.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

Yes, but if its anything like the Ivation I have that 300' it says it will reach is line of site and will travel through only one wall. I would rather have the Marerick ET 735 for $80 and it has 4 probes if was to do that, but it only comes with two.  It isn't getting a very good rating on Amazon, but I also want something that is WiFi.  Bluetooth has a limited range.  I am no hurry.  Just seeing what all think.

My 733 works @ 300ft.......worked to 275ft with the two story house in between me and the sender.  Works down in the basement too.  I haven't tried the BT one.   I'm not that impressed with the 733 otherwise, but for $50 it does as expected.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    The Ivation is a knock off of it I think and it is limited from my experience.   Al at KC BBQ Source tested it out and got the 735 to go about 150' back into the shop in the back through a few walls.  I want something that I hope will stay connected so it will let me know if the temp goes up go down from my settings.  The only time it dropped was when it started to rain and there wasn't enough air flow.  My Ivation is ok for around the house during the day, when I setting watching football and don't want to get up and check the temp on the egg.  I am also a Geek and think the graph the Tappeque does is cool, but not a must have.  I guess the 2 iGrill2's is cheaper too, just wonder if you can link up 2 at time to a phone.  Like @DaveRichardson said maybe the iGrill2 will come out with a 4 probe one.  It makes sense.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I just checked iGrill2's website and I guess it will handle 4 probes.  One for ambient temp probe and 3 meat probes.  Now this sounds possible.  Thanks Dave, your comment made me check their website. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Never messed with a Tappeque. I think there was a guy that had one at the tailgate on Saturday, but he wasn't really using it.

I have the Stoker. Yes, it has 6 ports, but really, you can split those and have as many probes and blowers as you want. They are all on a buss bar and controlled by a chip in the plug (that's why there's no food/pit specific ports). So if 6 ports isn't enough, just buy some 1/4" stereo plug splitters. Or if you want the Stoker far away from the pit, buy a single 1/4" stereo extension and some splitters for the end. You can run 4 smokers and 16 probes with a single stoker if you really want to. Probes aren't cheap, but you can buy their plug and then use high temp k-type probes instead of theirs.
    I haven't setup mine for use over the internet or to send twitter messages yet. It uses twitter to send you temp updates incase you aren't checking it regularly.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I was referring to the Flame Boss coming out with a 4-probe unit......

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have the CyberQ and I love it. 3 meat probes are included with the kit. You can communicate with it directly in adhoc mode or use port forwarding to connect to it when you are not at home. I can monitor and control my target temps with my iphone wehn I am out a about.  It takes a littke longer to set up port forwarding but is well worth it.
    Plus, it is solidly built and has a damper on the Pit Viper fan to control the airflow for low and slows. I have had it set to 225 for 15 hours without any major temp fluctuations.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I have the Stoker and love it ( for the most part) If you are not "Techy" good luck getting it set up for "Remote out of your home monitoring" I finally paid someone to get mine going , and it was flawless for a few months, then it stopped communicating, so double check the IP's thought  it was an easy fix...no luck, had to have our IT guy come out again HE couldn't get it going even with a call to Rocks as the guy @ Rocks who really knows the system was not in until today....so hopefully after another trip and $$ it will be going again. I can't see WHY it is so hard to get working-- I have tons of things that are Wi Fi that is simply "Connect to  wi fi"...My stoker Vent
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian