Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Root beer braised short ribs

Options
Beef short ribs have become my new favorite cook.  I was able to get a couple of slabs from the local butcher, each a little over 4 pounds.

That's a six in blade for reference.

Trimmed most of the fat from the meat side.  I should have done a better job removing the membrane from the bone side.

Lightly seasoned with Texas Roadhouse rub, then on the Egg indirect at 250 degrees for 2 hours.  I had to cut them in half to get them to fit in one layer  - saving the lower grid for some potatoes.

Looking good after 2 hours.  Starting to pull back from the bones nicely.  At this point, they were placed in a foil pan, to which I added 2 cups beef broth and a can of Root Beer.  Original plan was to braise them in beer, but since I quit drinking I didn't have anything good at the house.  I saw the Root Beer and figured, what the heck?  Covered tightly with foil and back on the Egg.

Three hours later they were tender and falling off the bone.  The bones came right out with barely a tug.  I tried slicing across the grain, but they were way too tender and falling apart.  Ended up just pulling them.

They were amazing, served with garlic roasted potatoes, sour dough bread, and fresh fruit.  On the to do again list for sure.

Comments