Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planning to smoke my first Beef short ribs tomorrow

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
edited September 2015 in Beef
Any fool proof methods out there?  I've read a few (sometimes conflicting) recipe ideas on the interwebs and am looking for something foolproof for my first time. any suggestions?

someone mentioned in another thread that Scottie was a pro at these. @SGH 
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• chrisc133
    Options
    I just did a cook last weekend. I followed Aaron Franklin's method. I rubbed it with hot sauce and then equal parts salt and pepper. Did it low and slow at around a 250 grate temp until it probed like butter. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • johnnyp
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    I just did a cook last weekend. I followed Aaron Franklin's method. I rubbed it with hot sauce and then equal parts salt and pepper. Did it low and slow at around a 250 grate temp until it probed like butter. 
    Approx time?
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Time would be dependent on the size of the short ribs if its a whole slab or thick sliced or cut into golf ball chunks.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Here's some I did a while back and have done lots more, one of my favs.  4-4.5 hrs. @ 250 until IT 195-200

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2015
    Options
    250-275 at the grate. Indirect.  Salt and pepper and a little hot sauce for the for rub.  And cook them till they probe like butter. (it's like brisket in that the time it takes is different for every rack)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • johnnyp
    Options
    I got a 4 bone rack from the plate.  Used DP cow lick.  been on for about 2 hours now.

• johnnyp
    Options
    3 hours in
  • johnnyp
    Options
    They turned out ok.  I'm looking forward to a second try.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @johnnyp, they look good, what didn't you like?  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks like you may have given up just a little too soon. These things can be boogers about letting go of the connective tissue.  How was the texture?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Looks like you may have given up just a little too soon. These things can be boogers about letting go of the connective tissue.  How was the texture?
    Bingo.  Pulled them off a little too soon.  Texture was fork tender, but a little chewy

I was following franklins video, where he uses a relatively small rack and pulls after 6 hours at 275.  He does mention that larger ones can go upwards of 8, but I didn't have a reference point as to what was big or small as it was my first attempt.

For me, 6 hours got me to an IT of about 165.  After 8.5 hours the thinner half was done an IT of ~195 and probing like butta'.  The thicker half was still probing tough and had an IT closer to 185.  

Mrs. P and I ate the pictures half with some roasted potatoes while the rest finished for another hour or so.  

Next time, I'll know to give them more time and plan on giving myself 8-10 hours to cook instead of banking on 6-7
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Cow always wins-but now you know the right feel and that will always define the finish-line.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    I know this doesn't answer your question but if you've got the means, sous vide short ribs EVERY time.  You'll never eat them any other way ever again.  72 hours at 125-130 and then a sear on the egg at 500.  Fall apart and medium rare at the same time.  Impossible to accomplish any other way

XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    I know this doesn't answer your question but if you've got the means, sous vide short ribs EVERY time.  You'll never eat them any other way ever again.  72 hours at 125-130 and then a sear on the egg at 500.  Fall apart and medium rare at the same time.  Impossible to accomplish any other way

Sou vide has peaked my curiosity lately. One question (probably a dumb one), how do they not "go bad" at that temp for that long? Because they are sealed in plastic?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    busmania said:
    hoofaloos said:

Sou vide has peaked my curiosity lately. One question (probably a dumb one), how do they not "go bad" at that temp for that long? Because they are sealed in plastic?
    My question is where do you keep it for 72 hours, just on the counter?  I would like to taste the food from this before buying one.  To me seems like to me the food would be mush after 72 hours.  Guess I need to see the concept in action to understand it better.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.