Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joined the two egg camp

Very excited to get this new small to join my large egg. I've been wanting a small since the mini max launched and the weights were comparable. Seller won a raffle and didn't want to keep it.  I fIgure that  saved about 50% off new from retail here in Canada.. Came with nest and side tables!  Now to light it up! 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• Welcome! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Nice score!  Congrats you will enjoy it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great haul there brother!  Congrats and enjoy!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Awesome! 2 eggs = double the pleasure. Enjoy!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    BigWader said:

I've been wanting a small since the mini max launched and the weights were comparable.  
    What drove you to the small vs the mini max? Not sure I understood your reasoning. Not questioning it by any means....just clarity on your thought process.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Welcome to the L&S camp.  I got my SBGE a little over a year ago and really enjoy it.  Two things I purchased before picking up the SBGE, a high-que grate and the woo and stone combo from CGS-both recommended by @DMW and he was on the money.  FWIW.  It is a hacker.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    We have LBGE & SBGE, really like this set up., not just the pic, the large and small. Have fun!
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    BigWader said:

I've been wanting a small since the mini max launched and the weights were comparable.  
    What drove you to the small vs the mini max? Not sure I understood your reasoning. Not questioning it by any means....just clarity on your thought process.
    @northGAcock I'm with you on this question, I'm also in the market for a smaller egg. I scoped them out at the dealer this weekend, the mini max looks perfect to me for small (quick) cooks
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Congrats on the Small, it's my go to for smaller cooks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Like how you put the small in a child restraint. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • @northGAcock  for me the depth of the small (more lump) for L&S was a big factor - Not necessarily always for butts/ribs but also sometimes when we entertain I set up the large for appetizers and it runs 300-350 all afternoon so I figure with a small I could do the same on one load of lump. 

Portability also wasn't as big a deal for me since mostly it will reside on my patio - I like that the small in a nest doesn't need another stand so the overall look will be more similar.  My patio is a patchwork of old and older stones in different directions and levels so avoiding more "chaos" has merit.

After lifting the little small into my truck today I realized I could easily move it around myself - I think it weighs a little more than my daughter but the egg doesn't squirm!!

@lousubcap I am definitely getting a high Q.  Thought about Kick Ash but not easy to get for a small in Canada and High Q is less than 1/2 the cost.  I love the Woo/Stone combo but again $$ US vs CDN are playing with my mind.  For now I picked up a 13 Weber grate and I'll use the bolt/washer/nut combo to raise it to the felt line.  Figure a few cheap firebricks on the lower grill and I'll be indirect for less than $25 bucks.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I bought the MM, and flat out love it. I considered the small, and was close to getting it. Either way, I know I would  have made them work. The important thing is get what you want and have fun figuring how to use to make great food. We got folks on here that do the impossible with the BGEs, and I would not be shocked to find someone, somewhere, cook a freaking whole Buffalo on a small or MM.
    Congrats on the purchase, welcome to cdo heaven, now start throwing twice the money out of your wallet as fast as you can! I have, you will.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I am glad you kept her safe on the ride home. Getting an egg, or another egg, is an exciting time! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    You won't regret buying the small Egg.  It's a great size for week night cooks or an additional grill when you have multiple cooks at the same time.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • I am glad you kept her safe on the ride home. Getting an egg, or another egg, is an exciting time! 

I felt like a kid at Christmas today with the anticipation to go get it.  When I was wheeling it to my truck, past the construction site I was walking tall with my little egg past all the workers.  

My large was a very special gift from my wife and I can't describe how elated I was after wanting one for years.  This wasn't at that level but I was still smiling wide today!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• I am glad you are happy @BigWader. I have two larges, and I am thinking of adding an XL. The more the merrier! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Merry Christmas brother Wader!  Enjoy that friend!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga