Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Komodo cooking *lots of pictures*

2»

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Well said Bosco
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 599
    It looks very nice. Should I ever hit the lottery I will get one customized to look like R2D2. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • that would be awesome!!!!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @Tinyfish  @bosco0633
    I have had the pleasure of seeing one in person. They are the cream of the crop without question or doubt. When I get my new pool installed, I'm wanting to get one myself to put by the pool. They are truly spectacular looking in person. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    bosco0633 said:
    ... On a ceramic the air flows in and can go under around the outside of the fire bowl and out as well as through the charcoal.  ...
    And, the light bulb comes on ... since the lump provides some airflow restriction, it's actually easier for the air to go up the gap between the fire bowl/fire ring and the outside shell on our eggs.  Great reason not to use fines when doing a low-n-slow.

Thanks ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Tinyfish

SGH said:
    @Tinyfish  @bosco0633
    I have had the pleasure of seeing one in person. They are the cream of the crop without question or doubt. When I get my new pool installed, I'm wanting to get one myself to put by the pool. They are truly spectacular looking in person. 
    I glad you like them.  Its great when you can see one in person.  A Komodo poolside is like a work of cooking art.

What unit number will this be?
  • Tinyfish
    bosco0633 said:
    ... On a ceramic the air flows in and can go under around the outside of the fire bowl and out as well as through the charcoal.  ...
    And, the light bulb comes on ... since the lump provides some airflow restriction, it's actually easier for the air to go up the gap between the fire bowl/fire ring and the outside shell on our eggs.  Great reason not to use fines when doing a low-n-slow.

Thanks ...
    Thats a good point for beginners.  Always use big chunks of charcoal on the bottom and then gradually get smaller.  After I reload the charcoal I put a small scope of the fines scattered on top to use them up....btu's are btu's
  • Tinyfish
    edited September 2015
    SGH said:
    @Tinyfish  @bosco0633
    I glad you like them.  Its great when you can see one in person.  A Komodo poolside is like a work of cooking art.

Opps a double post....
  • SGH
    Tinyfish said:
    SGH said:
    @Tinyfish  @bosco0633

Opps a double post....
    If I bought one today, it would carry the designation of unit #9. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    LKNEgg said:
    Looks awesome!   Cooks and komodo!  Looked at the website, wow I still have sticker shock!  
    $4260 sounds like a lot, but $426 down and $335/mo for 12 months almost sounds reasonable! Too bad I'm too old to justify the cost, those are amazing tools.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,644
    edited September 2015
    SGH said:
    I thought you were adamant that kamado style grills were not "units"  ;)

• SGH
    SGH said:

You are correct my friend. But he asked what number it would be if I were to give it one. Hence the response of #9. However I would actually give it a name. Only the ones made of heavy iron get the designation of units. 

Status- Standing by.

• Beautiful cooker and cooks. Lots o' loonies there I expect

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DoubleEgger
     SGH said:
    However I would actually give it a name. Only the ones made of heavy iron get the designation of units. 
    Flashy, heavy and has short stumpy legs.... Let's call it Hillary  ;)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,232
    Bentley vs. GM

And people think BGE's are expensive.

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.  
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Tinyfish
    SGH said:
    SGH said:

You are correct my friend. But he asked what number it would be if I were to give it one. Hence the response of #9. However I would actually give it a name. Only the ones made of heavy iron get the designation of units. 
    Naming your Komodo is common.  I have yet to name mine. I am waiting for my new one to arrive till i name them both.

Little Steven said:

Beautiful cooker and cooks. Lots o' loonies there I expect

Unfortunately the loonie has taken a beating so it hurts a little.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,928
    edited September 2015
    I hate you guys☺ Since you're in TO, can I take a selfi with your babies ;)
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Mosca said:
    LKNEgg said:
    Looks awesome!   Cooks and komodo!  Looked at the website, wow I still have sticker shock!  
    $4260 sounds like a lot, but $426 down and $335/mo for 12 months almost sounds reasonable! Too bad I'm too old to justify the cost, those are amazing tools.
    Yeah, if I was in my 40's or even 50's I'd have a KK Big Bad right now! At the moment tho I'm not sure I have enough years left to make it worth splurging for one.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    HeavyG said:
    Yeah, if I was in my 40's or even 50's I'd have a KK Big Bad right now! At the moment tho I'm not sure I have enough years left to make it worth splurging for one.

Agree, OTOH YOLO ;)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Not bumping?
    canuckland
  • I think this one has be set to bury 

if you can afford it enjoy it.... And will it to your favourite child 
  • Tinyfish
    HeavyG said:
    Mosca said:
    LKNEgg said:

Don't they say make your last years the best years.   It's a great thing to pass down.  
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    I see a family feud in the future over this acquisition.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Tinyfish
    nolan8v said:
    I see a family feud in the future over this acquisition.
    Thats why I soon will have two Komodo's one for each kid.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Keep em coming. Good bunch of cooks buddy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Yep, buffaloed. 

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    Before this thread completely dies, I'm interested in seeing the inside of one. Their website leaves a lot to be desired. How do they get 12sq ft of cooking area? Multiple levels? 
  • Tinyfish
    Before this thread completely dies, I'm interested in seeing the inside of one. Their website leaves a lot to be desired. How do they get 12sq ft of cooking area? Multiple levels? 
    The bigger Komodo's have three cooking levels that come standard with the grill. You can follow this link to my uncrating of my Komodo. Intook pictures of everything.  Everything in that thread is standard the only extra cost was the cover and the rotisserie. http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/21051-uncrating-of-a-23-komodo-kamado-in-toronto-very-pic-heavy/ 
  • DoubleEgger
    Thanks Tinyfish