Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hasselback Apple

I've done potatoes, sweet potatoes and I've seen Hasselback Carrots.  Time for dessert with a Hasselback Apple.  I uses a large Honeycrisp, peeled, cored and halved.  Using chopsticks as a guide, made very thin slices most of the way through.  Placed in oven proof pan (I used my handy CI Mini Skillet), brushed with a mix of melted butter, cinnamon and brown sugar.  On the Egg indirect for about 20 minutes at 350 - 400, then sprinkled with a strudel (mix of whole oats, butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon), then back on Egg for about 10 more minutes.  Add a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream (no pic of this - wanted to eat it before melting) and you have a great dessert.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    OK.  That's another thing on the wish list. I'm having a hard time keeping up with this place.  Great post.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @TJcoley - mmm that looks good, sounds like a great dessert after some pork chops. :smile: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I tried this with a Granny Smith and Gala w/ and w/out the skin. What did ya think of the end texture?  Looks good!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Texture with the Honeycrisp was right on for a baked apple.  Not too mushy and held its shape.  These have become my favorite eating apple, and I'm now using for baking. 

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Between your apples and the steak @tarheelmatt grilled up, I'm hungry...Really hungry. Definitely regret not firing up the BGE tonight. With no apples in the house, I'm stuck with vanilla ice cream sprinkled with cinnamon. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Cool idea, looks tasty
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @TjcoleyI'm with you on the honeycrisp apples being the best eating apples. I need to try baking with them. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming