Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My favorite way to cook okra

I love fried okra - but I like this even better. Cook a little bacon and remove from the pan. Add onion to the bacon grease and cook a bit. Add the okra and cook over a low heat until it's almost done - this cook took 20 minutes or so. Then I add a can of chopped tomatoes w/garlic, S&P and the bacon (chopped.) Cook that over medium heat until the tomato juice thickens a bit and everything is done. 
The chicken was boneless skinless thighs marinated in orange marmalade & chili powder plus a pinch of salt. Cooked indirect @375 for about 25 minutes. Add some rice and this was mighty tasty. 

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Will give that okra a try
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • My favorite way is to douse the okra first with soy sauce, a small amount of sesame oil, and some black pepper.  Then, I pierce several okra with two skewers (one near the top and another near the bottom) and grill them direct.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    bboulier said:
    My favorite way is to douse the okra first with soy sauce, a small amount of sesame oil, and some black pepper.  Then, I pierce several okra with two skewers (one near the top and another near the bottom) and grill them direct.
    We cook a lot of grilled okra as well for appetizers. I'm just a fan of okra :)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Looks really good.  Never had it quite that way but okra is a summer staple in my house.  I'll give it a rip.  Thanks.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    @SciAggie Your okra looks good. Another variation that is a favorite of our family:

• 1 small onion, chopped
    • 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (grind)
    • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    • 1 lb. fresh okra, cut into bite-sized pieces
    • 1 cup Indian Cheese/Paneer/Queso Blanco/Farmer's cheese, cut into large dice
    • ¼ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
    Saute the onion for a few minutes.  Add coriander, turmeric and salt and cook for a couple of minutes.  Reduce heat and add tomatoes cooking 2 minutes. Stir in okra and cook about 12 minutes. Add cheese and cilantro, let melt a bit then serve.

A little bacon would be a nice addition.

This also works well with green beans or brussels sprouts.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Book marked, thanks.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,231
    Mmmm.  That looks great!  I love okra.  Will give this one a go.  Thx!  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @SciAggie Your okra looks good. Another variation that is a favorite of our family:

• 1 small onion, chopped
    • 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (grind)
    • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    • 1 lb. fresh okra, cut into bite-sized pieces
    • 1 cup Indian Cheese/Paneer/Queso Blanco/Farmer's cheese, cut into large dice
    • ¼ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
    Saute the onion for a few minutes.  Add coriander, turmeric and salt and cook for a couple of minutes.  Reduce heat and add tomatoes cooking 2 minutes. Stir in okra and cook about 12 minutes. Add cheese and cilantro, let melt a bit then serve.

A little bacon would be a nice addition.

This also works well with green beans or brussels sprouts.
    I'll give this a try. Thanks.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Very interesting...

I'm honestly not a huge fan of okra, with the distinct caveat of pickled. LOVE the stuff in a nice, spicy pickling brine!

I have a buddy growing a TON of okra this year, I'll pass along the idea.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,791
    SciAggie said:
    I love fried okra - but I like this even better. Cook a little bacon and remove from the pan. Add onion to the bacon grease and cook a bit. Add the okra and cook over a low heat until it's almost done - this cook took 20 minutes or so. Then I add a can of chopped tomatoes w/garlic, S&P and the bacon (chopped.) Cook that over medium heat until the tomato juice thickens a bit and everything is done. 
    The chicken was boneless skinless thighs marinated in orange marmalade & chili powder plus a pinch of salt. Cooked indirect @375 for about 25 minutes. Add some rice and this was mighty tasty. 

SciAggie looks very good, will have to add to recipes.  TY
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I love okra cooked every way.  Unfortunately SWMBO hates it, so......
    I thought that was one of the more critical ingredients of the world famous Bloody Mary receipe from @northGAcock.

Love okra. One of my favorite dishes.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    YukonRon said:
    I thought that was one of the more critical ingredients of the world famous Bloody Mary receipe from @northGAcock.

Love okra. One of my favorite dishes.
    Okra.....pickled okra and the brine are key. That said, okra is a lot like Grits as a southern delicacy. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Dang, son
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    +1 ☝ @johnnyp
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN