Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show me your "stick"

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    Enjoying the afternoon before I go meet up with some people on my other hobby, Home Theater.   We going to see John Wick 2 then have a home theater crawl tomorrow at about 10 homes along with some homemade BBQ from a local memeber of AVS Forum.  It should be fun. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Enjoying the afternoon before I go meet up with some people on my other hobby, Home Theater.   We going to see John Wick 2 then have a home theater crawl tomorrow at about 10 homes along with some homemade BBQ from a local memeber of AVS Forum.  It should be fun. 
    Quality piece right there. 
  • pgprescott
    My Father Le Bijou. This is a very fine stick. Thanks Jeffrey!
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    My Father Le Bijou. This is a very fine stick. Thanks Jeffrey!
    Glad you liked it! I have one set aside for tomorrow, along with a regular My Father. Have to enjoy this warm mid Mo winter. 
  • Ladeback69
    Quality piece right there. 
    I wish I had more of them.  Great smoke.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    edited March 2017
    Sunny day and almost 60. Time for a cigar while the pastrami smokes. Oh and NCAA  basketball. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Enjoying a windy day and a Camacho American Barrel Aged cigar while getting the XL up to temp to cook steaks.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    Enjoying a windy day and a Camacho American Barrel Aged cigar while getting the XL up to temp to cook steaks.
    Fighting this sinus infection. No fun stuff at all for weeks now. I'm having a drink tonight darn it. Enjoy!
  • Ladeback69
    pgprescott said: hi
    Fighting this sinus infection. No fun stuff at all for weeks now. I'm having a drink tonight darn it. Enjoy!
    Sorry to here that.   I fought one of this the beginning of the year for a few weeks myself.   Missed almost a week of work.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott said: hi
    Sorry to here that.   I fought one of this the beginning of the year for a few weeks myself.   Missed almost a week of work.
    Yeah, I missed 6 days. I can't remember the last time I missed a single day. I'm glad to be on the back side of things. I'll get back on my horse soon. 
  • pgprescott
    I'm back baby! Just in time to rededicate myself to my diet. Been on a break for a while. Cheers!
  • Ladeback69
    edited March 2017
    Welcome back, nice way to start back.

Glad you are feeling better.

Kansas City, Mo.

• A buddy of mine and I enjoyed these last week at the local cigar shop. Icing on the cake was the flights we had from the brewery next door before heading in, and the crowler of esb we bought to drink with the 'gars. 

Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • pgprescott
    Welcome back, nice way to start back.

Glad you are feeling better.
    Thanks @Ladeback69
  • pgprescott

A buddy of mine and I enjoyed these last week at the local cigar shop. Icing on the cake was the flights we had from the brewery next door before heading in, and the crowler of esb we bought to drink with the 'gars. 

All around great times right there.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,779
    What do you guys use to maintain the humidity in your humidors?  I'm currently trying Boveda 72% humidipaks and I'm struggling to maintain humidity above 55%.  I used to have just a sponge in a pot with distilled water and humidity was at arround 65% but I was always scared that someone would lift the humidor and spill water.

paqman said:
    What do you guys use to maintain the humidity in your humidors?  I'm currently trying Boveda 72% humidipaks and I'm struggling to maintain humidity above 55%.  I used to have just a sponge in a pot with distilled water and humidity was at arround 65% but I was always scared that someone would lift the humidor and spill water.
    I use those jars of gel beads. 
    https://t.thompsoncigar.com/product/XIKAR-4OZ-GEL-JARS/78005.uts?cm_vc=8407&subCategoryId=8407&categoryId=8407&parentCategoryId=8406

• pgprescott
    paqman said:
    I bet its real hard up there in the winter months to get your humidity up. I have just taken a shot glass with a heavy base and put distilled water in it before to boost the humidity short term. Kinda sounds like what you've done in the past. I've moved away from any of the sponge type stuff. It kinda makes me nervous about mold. Justified or not, I just am not using them anymore. Good luck!
  • Danielson
    Danielson Posts: 54
    Birthday present from my thoughtful brother 
  • pgprescott
    Danielson said:
    Birthday present from my thoughtful brother 
    Damn! He must harbor some guilt over past brotherly treatment. That's a spectacular present. Enjoy!
  • Danielson
    Danielson Posts: 54
    I'm sure guilt played a part in the gifts, probably from all the trouble I got into covering his butt when we were younger. Or for the 36" Blackstone I got him. 
  • pgprescott
    Danielson said:
    I'm sure guilt played a part in the gifts, probably from all the trouble I got into covering his butt when we were younger. Or for the 36" Blackstone I got him. 
    I like the way you all roll. Very nice stuff. This sorta thing could escalate in a good way I suppose?
  • Ladeback69
    paqman said:
    How many cigars are you trying to keep at proper humidity?   The Boveda 72 packs say they will handle up to 50 cigars, but I wouldn't go much over 40 cigars.  I am using them, the jell beads and sponges.  I have two humidors and they about full and I have a box of CAMACHO COROJO that I put the packs in.  Do you have a gauge?  The packs are supposed to last for about 3 months.  the gel beads are refillable. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,779
    No more than 30 cigars at a time and some of them are in tubes.  Do you use distilled water or propylene glycol in the beads?

paqman said:
    No more than 30 cigars at a time and some of them are in tubes.  Do you use distilled water or propylene glycol in the beads?
    Either I think, but I use the solution. 
  • Ladeback69
    paqman said:
    I was told that you should use the solution so that is what I bought, but have used distilled water with other gel type sticks.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • @paqman what size humidor do you have? I have a 150 and I have to keep two 75 boveda packs in to keep it around 70%. 

Those packs are the answer though. No fuss. No mold. Just set it and forget it. 

I havent had a smoke in a while. Probably need to check that thing. I have had some unsavory characters around dipping their fingers in it. 

May be time to reorder. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN