Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Changing Table to LBGE Table Conversion

Options
So, I'm going to convert this into a LBGE table.

The whole top part is coming off and the "shelf" upon which the LBGE will sit will be immediately above the bottom drawer on the the left (the top two drawers and framing are going to be cut out.

Here's my question(s).  

First off, I need to build a support structure to support the LBGE.  Starting with the shelf, how sturdy does this need to be?  Will a shelf comprised of 2x4s work or do I need to worry about undergirding with some sort of metal bracing?

Second, I will be able to use most of the existing structure of the table, I think, so I should be able to avoid having to basically insert a structural skeleton just for the LBGE.  I'm new at this kind of conversion, though.  What are people's recommendations for the best/strongest way to marry the new shelf to the existing posts?

Thanks all!!

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hmmm. Ambitious. I'm standing by as @SGH would say. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just curious, are you sure that is big enough to hold a LBGE? It doesn't look deep enough to me. As for bracing - yes you will need it as the carcass of a piece like that has little structural strength. Is the top solid wood or a thin veneer over a piece of composite board which is common to most furniture nowadays. More than likely the back panel is fiberboard or plywood made for interior use and the least amount of rain water will delaminate it quickly. You might just want to sell that furniture and use the proceeds to buy wood to build your table. I'm not trying to be a smarty*ss!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mattvandyk
    Options
    @RRPAll pieces are solid wood.  I remember complaining about the price tag when we bought it lo those many years ago.  I'm quite grateful now.  Also, you're correct that it's not quite deep enough, so for the time being I'm going without a table top around the egg.  Once I get the thing back together, I may cut the table top so it sort of clamps around it (understanding that it won't connect because the diameter of the egg is wider than the depth.

Some in progress pics:

• RRP
    Options
    Fine - happy for you. I still doubt that those flat panels pictured are solid wood, but rather plywood made with a type of wood and glue meant for interior use. Also the joints were probably secured with interior glue.  I just hope after all your effort that you keep it out of the rain so it doesn't collapse like a wet cardboard box and dump and break your BGE like Humpty Dumpty! Good LUCK with your retrofit! 
    BTW I would really suggest at lest 2 diagonal braces across the back side to keep that from racking as those 4 legs are not sturdy enough to do the job IMO!
    I know you already think I'm being a pr*ck, but I'm still just trying to help you. Good night...

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    No way that's solid enough for a LBGE
  • mattvandyk
    Options
    @RRP I don't think you're being a pr*ck AT ALL. Not even a little bit. I was just saying it is solid wood because it is. I posted be because I'm definitely soliciting suggestions/input, and I GREATLY appreciate yours. 

I'm going to put a brace/foot the full depth of the unit underneath the center divider (to which the right side of the future egg shelf is affixed) -- basically, a third "foot" in the middle which will take most of the weight from the right side of the egg stand (so I shouldn't need to worry too much about the drawer section on the right doing too much from a structural standpoint). I'll also do the cross-bracing you suggest. Do you recommend doing that above the deck for the egg, below it, or spanning both?

thanks for the input!!
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP I don't think you're being a pr*ck AT ALL. Not even a little bit. I was just saying it is solid wood because it is. I posted be because I'm definitely soliciting suggestions/input, and I GREATLY appreciate yours. 

I'm going to put a brace/foot the full depth of the unit underneath the center divider (to which the right side of the future egg shelf is affixed) -- basically, a third "foot" in the middle which will take most of the weight from the right side of the egg stand (so I shouldn't need to worry too much about the drawer section on the right doing too much from a structural standpoint). I'll also do the cross-bracing you suggest. Do you recommend doing that above the deck for the egg, below it, or spanning both?

thanks for the input!!
    Sorry, I should have suggested this before, but please blow up your own pictures that you posted here or at least look at those side panels...see the layers? Those are plywood, not solid wood as you call them. Plus that back was clearly fiberboard which will melt in the rain. Manufacturers of furniture meant to be used inside do not waste money for exterior grade plywood, let alone for exterior water proof grade glue. BTW looking at a blow up of those "joints" of those cross members let alone those tiny legs I wouldn't trust them to hold 40 pounds much less a 160 pound egg. I should have gone to bed as I said before this gets worst, but honestly If I were you I would cut my loss now before you put more time let alone more money in that project! It just isn't worth going forward!!!  Now, I really am going to be bed! 
  • mattvandyk
    Options
    Thanks @RRP. Re the panels and the backing, totally agree; they're not structural tho and I'm not affixing anything to them (indeed, I took the back off and don't plan to put it back on). I meant the structural portions are solid wood (not MDF or pressboard). At this point, I'll finish it up tomorrow and test it out for a couple weeks with a few hundred pounds before I roll the dice with the egg on it. If it all comes crashing down, I'll post pics for ya! Thanks for the advice!
  • mattvandyk
    Options
    And now, we wait... 
  • mattvandyk
    Options
    And now, we wait... 

• mattvandyk
    Options

And now, we wait...