Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook with KAB in Place

Options
bob.bud
bob.bud Posts: 297
Okay, so I finally had time to do that first cook with the KAB in place. I will have to say, I need to get another burn under my belt to weigh in for certain, but I would say the burn behaved a bit different. Not a bad different, just different. Did some rib eyes, shrooms, and potatoes.

Rib eyes with some concoction found online:

Rib eyes on the grate:

removed:

shrooms:

Shrooms off the grill:

Shrooms in skillet:

Plated:

Cut:

I'll post again soon to share my first clean and restart with the KAB.
Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta

Comments

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Nice plate!  Didn't affect the end result!  
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looking good. Better than my blts I had last night. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I just bought one for my MM, I will be getting one for the XL. It seemed to get to temp faster, and also using the bottom vent, much easier to control the temp. Did a high temp 1.5 hour cook 400F. Once I got the temp it stayed there and did not budge. Did a 45 minute cook at 325F,  same thing. With the old grate, I had to always keep a close eye for temp fluctuation of  + or - 15 to 25 degrees, using the vents. The air flow in my MM is better and more consistent. Food is outstanding, and it is much easier to clean and work with. I really, really like the results thus far.
    @bob.bud I did not mean to hijack your thread here, and I am very curious for your final evaluation. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    @YukonRon no apology needed, we post to share and receive responses. It is what makes this asylum what it is for all of us.

So today, I pulled the basket to remove the ash from the cook posted above. Here where the steps for those that have wondered about the advantage the KAB brings:

1. Open egg
    2. Lift out basket
    3. Shake basket over trashcan
    4.Observe 1/2 a cup of ash in the bottom off egg (would have been below the old stock grate pre KAB days)
    5. Scoop out ash that was in bottom
    6. Replace KAB
    7. Add new lump and a paper towel from my jar of oil soaked towels
    8. Light towel

All that inside of 3 minutes, and I had my egg at 350 shortly thereafter for my wings.

My previous comment regarding the burn behavior was not intended to suggest it was bad. My observation with my first KAB burn was seen again today, the burn spreads more readily and evenly - I would attribute the behavior to more airflow. I am going to guess that I will end up burning a bit more lump. Time will tell.

Oh, the wings, I don't have a pic of them in the egg, but here is a trio on a plate. The sauce and the wings are a result of this recipe. The wings were good just with the dry rub, and if you don't like spicy, steer away from the sauce. I had to substitute Frank's Hot Sauce as I did not have what the recipe called for on hand.

I have no regrets on the KAB purchase. 

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta