Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman Steak Using TurboStream Lump Saver

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
As two-zone cooking is not easy on the Egg, I got this new product that makes it a snap for cooking small amounts. That's the way I like it! 

The TurboStream is a stainless steel bin for charcoal that sits up at fire ring level and leaves part of the grid for indirect heat:

I put a thick steak on the indirect side and put the lid down: 

When it was 115° IT, I took the grid off and put it on the ash-covered coals:

I got the great char that I love! 

I'm very pleased with this new accessory. It saves time, saves charcoal, and it's just what I needed.

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Looks like something I could use! 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Very nice Judy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's much more slick than dancing with a hot platesetter.  And a nice hunka meat too! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Awesome looking steak! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    caliking said:
    That's much more slick than dancing with a hot platesetter.  And a nice hunka meat too! 

+1.

@caliking, you can probably do that dance without putting down your beer.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• S.Newcomb76
    Options
    Great one more thing to add to the wish list. That's awesome.
  • SmokininCT
    Options
    Do you have a website to purchase one of these?
  • Moosebranch
    Options
    I will definitely be getting one of those. Nice!!
    Large Egg
    Atlanta
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    hmmmm, looks like me and $100 may soon be parted!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @RRPIf you don’t spend the $100 on the TurboStream, you’ll just spend it on something else. That’s how I rationalize it. 

Take a look at their new firebox divider:  
    http://1f53d479-03e7-11e5-886b-180373f13e48.mysimplestore.com/products/firebox-divider-plate

The second picture shows it best.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow - that looks really cool.  I don't cook steaks very often, I think mostly because I find it so complicated trying to sort out how to cook a nice strip steak or ribeye for me, medium rare, AND a thick filet well-done <sigh> for my wife, and get them done at the same time.  But somehow that gizmo looks like it would truly create two very different heat zones better than anything I've seen so far.  I might get one of those.

Thanks!
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    And my understanding is it works easily with the KAB. You can leave the ring in and the KAB fits inside without any complications, making it very versatile. You can go back and forth from full KAB to TS as your needs require. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I got a carton (maybe 16" x16"?) and put the KAB in it when it's out of the Egg so I won't get charcoal on my patio concrete floor. Cold charcoal, that is!
    Judy in San Diego
  • flash394
    Options
    We got our Turbostream.net at North Georgia Eggfest. Better buy than another egg for smaller meals.love it. We even found a way to use it with kickash basket.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I use mine all the time and love it! I have a mini that just collects dust now!  :)  These things work great and they're extremely well built.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Whelp - there goes more money out the door. =)
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Cool, but wow that seems a bit expensive for what it is!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    +1 @egret. I haven't used the Mini since. The TurboStream is so well made and such sturdy steel that it is money well spent. 
    Judy in San Diego
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Wow....great find! Thanks for sharing.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Good product, I bought mine at Ga Mtn Eggfest works great! Charles is a great guy very knowledgeable about the product. And he will be Town & Country Hardware@Cary NC 9/12/15 they are doing an Egg presentation. Maybe they will sponsor an Eggfest for the Raleigh area someday
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • gearslut
    Options
    Yes two zone cooking has been the bane for me.....wife doesn't get it....says...."why can't you just cook the chicken and the steaks with the veggies and oh yea here is some (insert favorite yummie here) all at the same time....., it can't be that hard"  So I found this:

http://www.ashdragon.com/products/ash-dragon-kamado-grill-divider-w-deflector-plate 

It is half inch steel (which looks much thicker than what you've got going here)....has a better bottom vent than the OEM LGBE (better air flow, easy lighting with newspaper on bottom (if you are into that lighting method).  and has a bottom plate that you put on the unused side of the ash plate to maximize airflow to the charcoal side.  it also snaps into the ash plate so that you can remove it for full load cooks....(keep in mind you could always just fill both sides)  64 bucks.......was a no brainer to order.  I wish the bottom ash plate was 5/8 steel like the OEM version but hey its better than any of the other after market ash plates I've seen.

I turned my local retailer on to this and he was pretty much a curmudgeon about dividers in general saying they are useless......I beg to differ---- in so many ways and on so many different levels......I do a lot of cooking for just two people and this is perfect...less lump, more cooking options all in the same cook.   

Drops mic.....

out....
  • gearslut
    Options
    Hey Gear here............just wanted to correct my post above....

The Ashdragon divider is 1/4 inch steel  not 1/2 inch.....  (That would be crazy over the top)  So the OEM ash grate must be 3/8 - not 5/8...

I hope this was helpful to y'all
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    How can turbo stream coexist with the kab?
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    The basic circle that holds things up fits between the fire bowl and the fire ring. It stays there and the KAB can fit inside when you're not using the other accessories.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SCCThree
    SCCThree Posts: 2
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I hate to dig up a thread that is a half decade old but I recently picked up a TurboStream and I love this thing. As previously mentioned, heavy duty construction, small amount of charcoal, searing power is amazing. If I pile up the charcoal it sits about a half inch under the grate. I have a Delta Heat gas grill with an infrared sear burner and this TS basket destroys it. It tastes better sears faster and makes the XL egg much more versatile. The XL is so big that I've only used it for indirect smoking because two zone cooking is pretty much impossible without some kind of modification. IMO this is as good as it gets. It's not cheap but this is the BGE. For about $145 it's a no brainer to bring a whole new dimension to grilling on the egg. I can't believe this mod isn't much popular. 

Five star. Would buy again. If you want to sear and do two zone cooking you will never regret this purchase. 

Pro tip: Be sure to buy the ring AND the basket. Shipping to TX was about five business days. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SCCThree said:
    I hate to dig up a thread that is a half decade old but I recently picked up a TurboStream and I love this thing. As previously mentioned, heavy duty construction, small amount of charcoal, searing power is amazing. If I pile up the charcoal it sits about a half inch under the grate. I have a Delta Heat gas grill with an infrared sear burner and this TS basket destroys it. It tastes better sears faster and makes the XL egg much more versatile. The XL is so big that I've only used it for indirect smoking because two zone cooking is pretty much impossible without some kind of modification. IMO this is as good as it gets. It's not cheap but this is the BGE. For about $145 it's a no brainer to bring a whole new dimension to grilling on the egg. I can't believe this mod isn't much popular. 

Five star. Would buy again. If you want to sear and do two zone cooking you will never regret this purchase. 

Pro tip: Be sure to buy the ring AND the basket. Shipping to TX was about five business days. 
    You're good.  You should get a job selling these things.  And I don't even own a grill, that's how good you are!