Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
Hey Guys,  i am new to the forum, been egging for a year and a half and love it.

i smoked a butt over the weekend and it came out dry. This is what i did.

brushed some canola oil on it
applied rub let sit for 30 mins
injected some cider vinegar and chicken broth.
put on egg at 200-225 until 160 deg
 add apple juice and wrap
continue cooking keeping internal temp at 200.

total cook time was about 20hrs it was very good minus the dryness.

any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2015
    Options
    To me, 20hrs is just too much time and 200-225 is too low a cooking temp.
    I cook at least 250 grate temp which is closer to 275 dome temp.  Lately I've been cooking them at 350 with really good results.  I don't baste, inject or foil. I keep the lid closed the entire time and trust my thermometers.  I usually pull the pork butt at about 195 and only foil if it gets done too early and need to be held for some time (up to 4 hours).  There's many ways to cook pork shoulder but I would suggest higher eggs temps as good start.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GreatNorthEgger
    Options
    Thanks Choke, i was told low and slow is the way.  Next time i will try your method.  approx for a 5lb butt at 300-350 dome how much time is needed.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    200-225 Dome or Grid, How big was your Butt ( never sounds right)  If not grid were you calibrated? I can hold 225 Grid no problem, but only with my Stoker....Was your thermometer for checking internal calibrated as well? Never had a dry butt
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GreatNorthEgger
    Options
    the butt was 5 lbs give or take.  i calibrated my dome temp a couple of weeks ago.  i will check my thermometer tonight.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Holy hell! 20 hrs for a 5# butt!  Something is amiss. No wonder it was dry. 

Typically run 275 dome and let it ride. No injection, no liquid, no foil. Takes 1.25-1.5 hr per. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GreatNorthEgger
    Options
    Thanks for all your help Guys
  • 82c52ksl
    82c52ksl Posts: 19
    Options
    Sounds like my 14 hour, 4# brisket experience.  I'm trying my first butt this week.  Hopefully i can make it happen.
  • drewzim
    drewzim Posts: 4
    Options
    Holy cow is right!  Surprised you had anything left after 20 hours. K.I.S.S. applies to butts.  Lose the injection, liquid, foil.  None of that is needed. They are ultra forgiving.  Did a little 5# butt a few weeks ago.  Cooked around 300-325F to cut down on cook time, and it was done in 5-6 hours and was as good as any "low and slow"  I've done.   
    Baltimore Area cooking on a XL & MM

GO O's!!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Something is way wrong, especially if you wrapped at 160°. Wrapping speeds up cook time. Did you use an internal thermometer? 

Temperature should only be used as a guide to see how the BB is moving along. The best method to test for doneness is by feel.  When the butt probes like your sticking it in butter is when its done. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming