Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late Dinner and Hatch Chiles

Options
I stopped by Harris Teeter on the way home this evening to pick up some things for our trip to the lake tomorrow and they had Hatch Chiles there. I've never tried them but after seeing all the fuss bought about 10 lbs to give them a shot. I was hungry so picked up a NY strip too. Just getting started more pics to follow. 
Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA

Comments

• Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    Anything is worth a try! Careful though it's another possible addiction. Steak looks great as I sit here at work late on a Friday evening.
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Chiles on.  Just charring the outside and putting them in brown bags to steam. Then I'll be back sealing and freezing.

Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Not bad for a first try. I got almost 10 bags. May need to go get more to roast though I tried one and it was delicious. Skins are coming off easy too on the few I tried. I decided not to peel them prior to bagging and freezing because it's too late. 

Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    Nice looking chiles. How hot are they?

I usually get 25lbs every October from a local place here in Albuquerque. They always have a range from mild to extra hot (sometimes exxxtra hot too), I usually stick to regular hot.

I have the stand roast them for me and it takes me about half a day to peel, de-stem, and de-seed them all. I usually freeze them in ~1lb packs.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Plutonium where do you get yours at? We usually go to Wagner Farms in Corrales I like the Big Jims they have 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
     I was hungry so picked up a NY strip too. 
    This^^^^^^^^ I especially like and agree with. Man can not live off of greenery alone. Heck I can't even function on it. On a separate note, great looking grub.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    I've gotten them at the stand at Wyoming and Montgomery the last 2 years, just get the normal hot there. I've been wanting to do some brisket and cheddar rellenos, so maybe I'll get some big jims from the place you go.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• llrickman
    Options
    I stopped there at that one a time or two but the reason we keep going to wagners is the roasting. They seem to roast better than anywhere I've been 

I've thought about going to the one there at Wyoming and Montgomery since it's not far from my house I live off of Paseo Del Norte and Wyoming but we always go to wagners 

we got some at the chile connection on mountain and Broadway and were really disappointed the last time 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I hate you guys that can just go down the street and buy fresh roasted.  Growing up in Albuquerque in the '50's My dad & I  picked them in the fields, brought them home and roasted on the gas stove.  3 years ago a friend from Denver sent me a care package of frozen, they were great, but the overnight freight was a killer.  Hard to find here in Melbooring Fl.  But indulge yourselfs.  Have some green chili on me.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=962512&catid=1
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Plutonium said:

I usually get 25lbs every October from a local place here in Albuquerque. They always have a range from mild to extra hot (sometimes exxxtra hot too), I usually stick to regular hot.

I have the stand roast them for me and it takes me about half a day to peel, de-stem, and de-seed them all. I usually freeze them in ~1lb packs.

Great meal.  What is the going rate roasted to take home? TIA

• llrickman
    Options
    Plutonium said:

Great meal.  What is the going rate roasted to take home? TIA

30-35 a bag roasted usually ( large burlap bag) 

there are several places here in Albuquerque that will ship frozen green chile also even my neighborhood ups store does 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM