Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken leg quarters-wish me luck

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
 drumsticks,Fine! Thighs, great!  But for whatever reason, I always have bad luck with leg quarters.  wish me luck! 

The plan is rubbed with the new meat church bacon BBQ rub and cooked indirect at 400*
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sounds like a plan.  FWIW...I have never had a quarter I didn't like!  If you can raise them up higher in the dome that helps get the skin crispy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Ooooh, my favorite. Good luck in deed. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Good Luck.  Just pretend they are drumsticks and they will turn out fine!!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• johnnyp
    Options
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Brought them up to a little higher IT than normal. ~200.

Meat was tender and skin was crispy. I was very happy with the results 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Those look nice!!! What temp are you cooking at?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    400. Indirect.  Per @SGH recommendations 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Brought them up to a little higher IT than normal. ~200
    First let me say great job and they look excellent brother. But I have to ask, why did you take them up to 200 internal? You have raised my curiosity my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnnyp
    Options
    No reason other than I was looking for skin as a primary indicator of readiness.  

perhaps it wouldn't have worked with white meat, but the dark meat was perfect-tender, moist, and perfect skin.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    No reason other than I was looking for skin as a primary indicator of readiness
    I like to experiment with stuff myself. Again, great job brother.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited July 2015
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    No reason other than I was looking for skin as a primary indicator of readiness.  

perhaps it wouldn't have worked with white meat, but the dark meat was perfect-tender, moist, and perfect skin.
    Lately I've been taking chicken legs and thighs up past usual temps and I like the texture.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +2 on the higher finished temp of legs and thighs. Really like the texture of a thigh if cooked at about 250 till it hits 200 or so.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • shadowrider
    Options
    How long does it usually take at 400 dome temp?  I have a big bag of these in the freezer that needs to be cooked.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Thawed. An hour
  • shadowrider
    Options
    Thanks johnnyp!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @johnnyp Quaters (dark) are a staple around my house. I use the McCormics Montreal Chicken rub on mine. Havn't found a chicken rub I likemuch better. Truth be told, I haven't looked real hard either. What did you dust them with?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    Options
    @northGAcock  this was a combo.  The darker looking quarters are meat church BBQ bacon.  the lighter are yardbird.  I liked them both