Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Wooster sauce recommended

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
Hi! all,

There was a thread a few days ago about making Worcestershire sauce, and that got me reading around about its history. I stumbled upon a new brand, "Col. Pabst Malt Amber-Lager Worcestershire," so I figured I'd blow some $$ and buy a couple of bottles online. As you might expect, something based on a craft brew is likely to be pricey.

Have to say, I'm impressed. Its sweeter and saltier than Lea and Perrins. Seems thicker, and more concentrated. 1st ingredient is amber malt beer, but w/o any noticeable hop taste. Does have tamarind, and anchovy paste, some Tabasco as well.  Just had a few drops on some biscuits w. a pat of butter, and it was delish.

Planning on doing some rib-eye in a day or two, can't wait. I used to like sweet BBQ sauces, but tend more towards a vinegar style now, so when I try it w. pork, I'll probably add a few dashes of some wine vinegar.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Some very good high end stuff out there for sure. Tasted with a biscuit and some butter, you prolly noticed the value, a teaspoon or so in 2 cups of broth or sauce might not be noticed, that's when Lea&Perrins will do just fine.
    I notice a good balsamic vinegar when used with an Italian olive oil on salad or when dipping bread, otherwise almost any balsamic will do in a sauce as I can't taste the difference.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Some very good high end stuff out there for sure. Tasted with a biscuit and some butter, you prolly noticed the value, a teaspoon or so in 2 cups of broth or sauce might not be noticed, that's when Lea&Perrins will do just fine.
    I notice a good balsamic vinegar when used with an Italian olive oil on salad or when dipping bread, otherwise almost any balsamic will do in a sauce as I can't taste the difference.   
    Good observation. I'll do some experimentation, but make sure I put some aside for when my family comes over for a holiday spread, and I want to wow 'em.