Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt's got nothing but time...

leeman13
leeman13 Posts: 30
I've heard and experienced the stall at 160 before, and the second stall at 180, but this is ridiculous. 3.5# pork butt on the egg at 240 F dome is stalled at 182 F and has taken almost 10 hrs today..... 2.8 hrs/lb!!! I even bumped the temp up to 290 dome for the past few hours. I searched the forum but haven't read about a time this long before. Please tell me I'm not alone in this?
-lee.
LBGE in Waterloo, ON

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Calibrated thermos-then it's the pig-all that said, you could be looking at a record cook.  But the small butts do not follow the hrs/lb of the bigger ones.  At the end of the day-it's all about the taste.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • leeman13
    leeman13 Posts: 30
    Thermometers were calibrated 3 weeks ago, they should be good. :)

I know, it's all about the taste. It smells amazing. Gonna taste even better I'm sure!!
    -lee.
    LBGE in Waterloo, ON
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    lousubcap 
     But the small butts do not follow the hrs/lb of the bigger ones.  
    I have had people argue with me about this. But it's 100% true on the sub 5 pounders. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited July 2015
    First butt I ever did on the egg was for a super bowl party years ago. It was under five pounds and took darn near 14 hours with bumping it up to above 325° the last couple hours. I put it on at 4 am and barely made kickoff. It rested till half time.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.