Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold

So I hadn't used the Egg in about a month.  When I opened it, there was mold on part of the inside wall of the egg and some on the grill rack.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I added wood and brought the egg up to 400 and scraped off any mold that was still there. I grilled our dinner and it was fantastic.  But I think, tho, that the mold is down between the fire box and the inside wall of the egg.  So it's all burnt off where visible, but may not be all gone.  I really don't want to have to take the whole thing apart. But if I did, what would I clean it with?  And it is really necessary because the food was good tonight.  And the Egg has no bad smell or anything.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You're fine brother.  The egg is an incubator when closed down. Leave you're bottom and top vents wide open between cooks and you'll see no more mold. A hot temp cook eradicates the mold.  Cheers
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Agree ^^^^. Burn it
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Agree with the above as well.  I've had terrible problems with mold, and that's the main reason I got the SmokeWare caps for my 2 Eggs, because I can leave the top vent open, now, without worrying about rain getting in or rust.  I've been using my Eggs pretty often, so maybe I haven't had a real test, yet, but no mold.

400 isn't hot enough, BTW -- if you take it up to 600-650 or even higher for a while, you'll really burn off any mold or other crud, get it looking a lot like new.  The only downside is you might melt your gaskets, depending on what type they are.  One time that happened to me and I had trouble opening the Egg again.  Pretty much no gaskets after that.  I think the new gaskets are high-temp stable, though I'm not sure, so it might depend on how new your Egg is.
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Good to know.  Thanks.  I've never seen anything about mold on this forum.  Cooking pizzas tonight so that should help.  Sounds like I just got a great excuse for using the Egg more often!  Yeah we had to work late - yeah it will take longer to eat - but baby I have to keep the mold under control!  Just doing my part!  And I think some steaks are in order!