Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Filet Mignon

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
A first for me. I've never had beef tenderloin before. Picked up a few different cuts of grass-finished beef at the Farmers Market and thought I'd try it. Not bad. 

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Not bad? I'd say that was pretty much perfect. Nice...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    Options
    DMW said:
    Thanks.

I was trying to find a post from @cazzy or I think it was him that showed how to do a steak in a CI. I was hoping for more of a Maillard reaction. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    A first for me. 
    You could have fooled me^^^^^^^^^^.
    It looks like a professional chef cooked it from where I'm sitting. Awesome job brother stem. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Wait? What? Never had filet?  Wouldn't know it from that cook.  Nice job as always.

• stemc33
    Options
    Thanks @Legume and @SGH. Until a few years ago, I always ate steaks medium well to well done. Thick pink centered tenderloins never appealed to me. I've always preferred burgers over steak. Well...I was eating the steaks at the wrong end of the doneness scale. Now I realize there's more to beef than burgers. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    I was eating the steaks at the wrong end of the doneness scale.
    When I first met my wife she was the same way. I told her that a well done steak was basically the same as eating a old wore out leather boot. When I finally convinced her to try a rare one, she saw the light and has never looked back. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Yeah, that was me too.  Figured it out eventually.
  • stemc33
    Options
    SGH said:
    stemc33 said:
    I was eating the steaks at the wrong end of the doneness scale.
    When I first met my wife she was the same way. I told her that a well done steak was basically the same as eating a old wore out leather boot. When I finally convinced her to try a rare one, she saw the light and has never looked back. 
    Although I've made the conversion, my wife has not. If there's a slight pink tinge, outcomes the frying pan. She slices it into small pieces and fries it into a jerky state. On the other hand, my son also has made the conversion. He said he was very hungry eating in the dark and initially couldn't see his steak when he realized the best steak he ate was medium rare. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Never had beef tenderloin and from Wyoming??? I'm surprised they let you claim Wyoming citizenship! 

Seriously, good looking grub @stemc33
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks like you had a great meal Stem.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    DMW said:
    Thanks.

I was trying to find a post from @cazzy or I think it was him that showed how to do a steak in a CI. I was hoping for more of a Maillard reaction. 
    looks good from here.  try @nphuskerfl too - i remember him doing some mean steaks in CI with herbs and butter and stuff ala APL.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    That is just about perfect. Tell us your recipe. How hot, how long, how did you get that sear? Was that butter in the CI?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Home run there!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you have the time, salt and let the steaks sit on the fridge on a rack for at least an hour(I go overnight). I get the best maillard reaction that way.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Looks killer!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • stemc33
    Options
    eggo said:
    That is just about perfect. Tell us your recipe. How hot, how long, how did you get that sear? Was that butter in the CI?
    It was butter in the CI. I used BGE Cosmic Cow for seasoning. Cooked about 90sec a side at about 475° and finished raised direct. Not sure about times. I'm a flipper, so I just use my ThermoPop and check temp frequently til done. @Eggcelsior seems to have posted a good tip. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    Damn that looks tasty!
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My wife was the same way, she wanted medium well or medium when we started dating, but now I only cook to one temp 135. If a steak is shared she may eat the ends to get more cooked, but not always. My 3 children all eat med rare and my 4 year old daughter has told me steak is her favorite food. Hahaha 

Oh and that filet looks fantastic.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Care to share the recipe? Searing time on each side and meat temps. Total time.
    Eggo in N. MS