Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kingsford Comp Briquets

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
Has any one ever used Kingsford competition briquets in the egg? Label says it's 100% natural and great for ceramic cookers.

If so does it light easy, last long or create a lot of a
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use them in my Portable Kitchen (PK) grill.
    I like them in that grill. They do leave a fair amount of ash.
    Please see:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm

If you decided to try the competition briquettes Costco seems to have the best deal.
    I picked up 2 -18# bags for around $18 last weekend. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I've used them in other grills. They generate good heat and work pretty well. But like any briquette they are 30-40% binder so they generate a lot more ash than lump. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GregW
    Options
    I'm using them to do steaks and burgers on the PK.
    I like them because they burn uniformally.
  • jabam
    Options
    GregW said:
    I use them in my Portable Kitchen (PK) grill.
    I like them in that grill. They do leave a fair amount of ash.
    Please see:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm

If you decided to try the competition briquettes Costco seems to have the best deal.
    I picked up 2 -18# bags for around $18 last weekend. 
    I saw them at costco for that price, that's what peaked my curiousity, what kind of smoke flavor do they put out?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • GregW
    Options
    They are very smokey until fully burning. 
    When fully ignited they burn virtually smokeless. 
  • jabam
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I load up at Costco every year in the Spring when they have them on sale. yes I use them in my BGE and its all I use in my WSM. They create a little more ash than lump but a lot less ash than blue bag. Everyone seems to make a big deal about ash. I just quickly clean out the BGE before each use through the bottom vent and never have any type of problem using them. I do however have a after market grate for my BGE that someone recommended on here (can't remember the brand name) that has a more traditional grate style than the BGE one that has the holes in it so that may be part of it. 

Dearborn MI
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    My buddy uses them in his egg and I used them in a bind one day we were cooking together. They hold a great stable temp and like @gregW said lots of smoke till fully lit.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    My buddy uses them in his egg and I used them in a bind one day we were cooking together. They hold a great stable temp and like @gregW said lots of smoke till fully lit.
    Will these burn out? or can you shut the grill down and reuse?
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    You can shutdown the grill and reuse. I filled mine to the top and actually got three or four other cooks out of them. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• jabam
    Options
    You can shutdown the grill and reuse. I filled mine to the top and actually got three or four other cooks out of them. 
    Do you wait until all the briquettes are white before you start cooking?
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    @jabam. I use a partial charcoal chimney and spread them evenly over the unlit and start cooking. Ive always done this in my WSM as well. I don't get the funny smell from them that I get from lump in the beginning. They smell like clean burning wood right from the start.   
    Dearborn MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    jabam said:
    @jabam - treat them no differently than lump.  Light what you need and not any more.  They will relight fine.  I burned two sacks from Costco this spring.  No problems.  Sure, there is more ash but I don't see that as a problem.  Maybe if you had tiny little garbage cans.
    Options
    Thanks guys, gonna try some this weekend. 
  • GregW
    Options
    jabam said:
    Yes, I wait until they are fully lit.
    I do this because I want a very consistent fire across the entire cooking surface.
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I  use the minion method for low and slows (so no for that) if using as a charcoal grill I start as soon as I think there is enough heat and don't worry about unlit either way.
    Dearborn MI