Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating Pulled Pork

Options
GATraveller
GATraveller Posts: 8,207
I've been playing around lately trying to find the perfect liquid to add to leftover pulled pork.  I've used water, apple juice, Coca-Cola, even Dr. Pepper and all with good results.  This past weekend I ran across a box in the pantry (that I forgot was there) and after eating think my search has finally ended.

It's in a box but actually individual packets so shelf life is extended.

I mixed one packet with 1 cup water then added to meat in a pyrex dish and covered with foil.  Put in oven @ 225 for about 30 mins and the leftovers came out like fresh pulled.  I haven't seen anyone else mention using it before but it's now my go-to method.

Hope this helps!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    I use that all the time to season peas, beans, etc.   good stuff.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Bookmarked 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Sous vide works really well for reheating.  I don't use any added liquids.  This is by far the best method that I have found.

LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I use that for butter beans. Never thought about pulled pork. Then again my packs are foodsavered with sauce and in a warm bath to heat up
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Sous vide works really well for reheating.  I don't use any added liquids.  This is by far the best method that I have found.

The immersion circulator  does an outstanding job reheating pulled pork.
    I believe you could cook the pork a day or more in advance and reheat it in the water bath and nobody could tell the difference.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    Thanks! I have been a Coke-a-Cola fan for reheating for years, but this is an interesting suggestion! Gotta GOYA source reference? I've never heard of it before.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Walmart in Alabama carry's Goya as well as most grocery stores.
    Goya makes quiet a few Mexican or Latin type products in the stores around here.
    I have tried the one in the picture above, it has a pronounced hammy flavor, well suited for use in dried beans or something similar. I'm sure how it would work out to add to reheated pulled pork. It may be great. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    As was suggested to me by @SGH and @theyolksonyou, put pulled pork in foodsaver bags, vacuum packed and simply rewarm in simmering water for 30 minutes.  No sauce required assuming they were seasoned up front and tastes as good as when pulled off the egg.  I'm a no sauce type.  For what its worth.  Happy Egging!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I usually just use some beef broth. I like to slice a pork butt when it has been refrigerated and add some beef broth to it and reheat as slices. Awesome. I rarely ever have enough pulled pork leftover to freeze ( I tend to keep munching on it until it is all gone ), but if I do,  I usually add a small amount of beef broth to it as well when reheating.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I use that for butter beans. Never thought about pulled pork. Then again my packs are foodsavered with sauce and in a warm bath to heat up
    Thanks @Chubbs for the brain kick. I forgot about how good butter beans are. One of my favorites from years ago.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks! I have been a Coke-a-Cola fan for reheating for years, but this is an interesting suggestion! Gotta GOYA source reference? I've never heard of it before.
    I bought it at Publix in the ethnic food section.

Chubbs said:
    Guess I need to look into purchasing a food saver and Sous Vide.  SWMBO thanks you!!   =)

Everyone in my family uses a different sauce so we don't apply till plated (or bun'd).  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA