Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ with Franklin on PBS

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,485
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
There's a few threads here about Aaron Franklin's restaurant in Austin, about his book, and about his how-to series on EweTube, but I didn't see anything about his new series on PBS.  I'm enjoying the heck out of it, and learning quite a bit.
I've been recording the PBS show, and enjoy Mr. Franklin's droll sense of humor.  Today he showed how he built his various smokers.  Start with a huge propane tank, fill it with a large bottle of dishsoap and then top with water, let soak which removes and residual propane/chemicals.  Meanwhile, he needed a Sharpie, so he hops on his forklift and drives off.  Returns, parks, and lifts his Sharpie off the fork tine.   :lol:   Showed how he marks out the doors, the thermometer location, the firebox, and the chimney, then grabs an angle grinder and starts cutting doors.  The tank at this point is still full of water, and starts pouring all over his angle grinder, his electric grinder!  :tired_face:  He builds his own hinges out of steel tubing and horseshoes, and welds everything together.  He's very big on keeping the airflow thru his smokers just right, said a 1/2"-inch change in the location of the smokestack changes everything.
He talked a bit about commercial smokers, and doesn't care for the Big Green Egg style as they don't maintain a good airflow; yet, we can make anything as smoky as desired, would love to be able to try his brisket next to mine and taste the difference.  
Learning quite a bit from this series, and it's fun. 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Agree - totally love the show, Aaron's personality and sense of humor. 

When he did the show on whole hog, I screamed out loud in laughter when he spontaneously went from seriously prepping the hog on its tummy to giving  a swedish back massage and slap on the butt.
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    I will take the Pepsi challenge against him til he gets paid by BGE
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    He's a good guy
    Gittin' there...
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I wish I could get as excited about my job as Aaron does about his job. 

There was a thread that talked about Franklin BBQ being PBS not too long ago. Or at least a posting because I learned how to change the PBS location to Austin on Apple TV from reading a post from @SGH
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming