Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ lump review.

Options
Quick summary after starting up and using most of a 20lb bag.

Pros:
Low smokey odor, close to Rockwood.
Good variety size wise.
Started easily with mapp torch.

Cons:
Some sparking when starting, but not excessive.
It is KJ branded.  ;-)

Still need to determine how long it'll last and ash production.  

Initial impression is really good, and if you like Rockwood, this would probably meet your needs.  

I've been looking for neutral smelling lumps since SWMBO dislikes, ok hates, some of the more smokey lumps.  Tried wicked good a couple of years ago and it was good then they had issues.  Ozark Oak was good and I do have 5 bags of Rockwood that were just delivered.  Had one bag of Rockwood prior and was really happy with it.  And SWMBO doesn't chase me into the shower when I finish getting the Egg going.

The food was always too smokey for her and she really didn't care for it but with RW so far so good.  The last butt I made with RW and apple chunks, she actually picked out that I used apple chunks without me telling her.  

Saw the KJ lump in the brown bag at Costco during the KJ road show.  Read some good things about it and at 40lbs for $30, figured I give it a try.

First, no strong odor when opening the bag.  And so far no strong reaction from SWMBO since starting the Egg with the KJ lump this morning.  

Size wise there was some pretty big size pieces in there.  See pics below.  I picked out some of the bigger pieces and put them into the Egg.    Threw some medium sized pieces on and since I'm a dumper, dumped the rest.  

Lighting was easy with my mapp torch.  There was some initial sparking, but I never had to jump back from it.  

I'm doing a butt and some beef short ribs today, starting at 250 until the ribs are done and then going to bump to 300 to finish off the butt.  Will get some pics on how much is burned at the end.

Comments

• BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited July 2015
    Options

KJ lump (red) is my favorite. Great for lo and slow. Seems denser than most others. VOC's clear quickly. No more sparky than others.

I had 2 bags of Rockwood and was not impressed. The largest piece was almost the size of a lemon! Lots of waste.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I prefer the red bag KJ but will buy brown in a pinch. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Seems like it always gets good reviews. Anyone know who makes their lump?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. However I have read good reviews about it and several folks here on the forum have spoke very highly of it. If I run across it I will certainly give it a try. Thanks for your thoughts and input on the subject my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Has anyone else been told that Kamado joe's lump is made in the same facility as the WGWW?
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have been told that @nolan8v by you,  haha. I believe it though, Ace stopped carrying WGWW and carried this instead immediately after.. I love it. 

I get the red bag. To my CA eggers that can't get Rockwood. . Get this.  Red bag KJ lump. I was hesitant because bge lump. .. is meh, but KJ lump is excellent.  My pieces are ALWAYS  like those pictured. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    Has anyone else been told that Kamado joe's lump is made in the same facility as the WGWW?
    Quite some time back when I bought my Joe Jr. I saw the KJ lump at the dealer and they said it was made by Wicked.  I have never dug into it to confirm it or not. It stands to reason though. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.