Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick prime ribeyes

Options
I reverse seared these on cast iron, came out amazing. Pretty good size, 2.4lbs for 2 steaks. Finished with a dab of garlic and herb butter on top.

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Next time I'm in Albuquerque, I expect an invite for these!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks mighty fine to me!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Steak looks awesome! Please share your Mac & Cheese recipe..... ;)
    GWN
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Real good looking steak.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Looks great
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I love the prime beef from Costco. I haven't been able to convince myself to go out for steaks for a few years now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Those look great!

One observation though... the label says that those were blade tenderized. While that process does help tenderize the meat, it also carries the risk of pushing surface bacteria into the meat; where it might not be fully eliminated if the IT is less than 140*.

Not saying don't do it again... just wanted to make you and others aware.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Plutonium looks great...and welcome to the forum !!  I love my ribeyes !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Those look great!

One observation though... the label says that those were blade tenderized. While that process does help tenderize the meat, it also carries the risk of pushing surface bacteria into the meat; where it might not be fully eliminated if the IT is less than 140*.

Not saying don't do it again... just wanted to make you and others aware.

Seriously I didn't know that, thanks. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the blade tenderized meat. I found more info about it too. I'll have to look and see if that last statement is true next time I go in there. I'm a little shocked of the need to mechanically tenderize prime ribeye.

After bladed steaks sold by Costco were linked to an E. coli outbreak in Canada in September 2012, Costco began labeling its mechanically tenderized beef. A Costco spokesman told us all of its beef is tenderized by machines except for filets and flank steaks.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/06/has-your-steak-been-mechanically-tenderized/index.htm

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Plutonium said:
    Thanks for the heads up on the blade tenderized meat. I found more info about it too. I'll have to look and see if that last statement is true next time I go in there. I'm a little shocked of the need to mechanically tenderize prime ribeye.

After bladed steaks sold by Costco were linked to an E. coli outbreak in Canada in September 2012, Costco began labeling its mechanically tenderized beef. A Costco spokesman told us all of its beef is tenderized by machines except for filets and flank steaks.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/06/has-your-steak-been-mechanically-tenderized/index.htm

Holy smokes.   Talk about gilding the lily.   
    So unless you cook it to 160,  you are playing russian roulette.

But who wants to cook prime steak to 160? 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Plutonium said:

Holy smokes.   Talk about gilding the lily.   
    So unless you cook it to 160,  you are playing russian roulette.
    Not necessarily. But, if you or someone you are serving has a compromised immune system the risk should be considered 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    If you get a whole ribeye that is still in the cyro, it hasn't been blade tenderized. Cut it into steaks when you get home, vac seal and freeze what you don't use. Cheaper per pound usually anyway.

Better yet, dry age the subprimal before slicing into steaks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth
    That's my definition of russian roulette:    Low odds of "winning" but probably exponentially greater than if they didn't blade tenderize. 

In my situation, I regularly have over grand parents who are overall healthy but would be at much greater risk of a more serious complication.   

This makes me re-think sous vide paired with the Egg
    http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Beef

...even though in my topic
    Conclusion: 8hr Sous Vide Tri-Tip + Sear in Egg
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183222/conclusion-8hr-sous-vide-tri-tip-sear-in-egg#latest
    I said
    "
    I am not convinced my Big Green egg needs sous vide as a partner for making Tri-Tip."

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth
    That's my definition of russian roulette:    Low odds of "winning" but probably exponentially greater than if they didn't blade tenderize. 

In my situation, I regularly have over grand parents who are overall healthy but would be at much greater risk of a more serious complication.   

This makes me re-think sous vide paired with the Egg
    http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Beef

...even though in my topic
    Conclusion: 8hr Sous Vide Tri-Tip + Sear in Egg
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183222/conclusion-8hr-sous-vide-tri-tip-sear-in-egg#latest
    I said
    "I am not convinced my Big Green egg needs sous vide as a partner for making Tri-Tip."

Yes, we all have to make our own decisions in matters like this. FWIW, I would not buy blade tenderized meat.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just called my local Costco ( Austin TX Arboretum store) to ask:
    He confirmed they blade tenderize everything but fillets, flank steak, and stew meat.  
    ( I wonder why not the flank steak too  if they do almost everything else. )
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I never heard of blade tenderized until I read this post.  After I Googled it, I'm not sure I want to eat a BT steak.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I do appreciate the risk, however I have a blade tenderizer that I have had for years. I use it frequently on steaks.
    Thus far I haven't had and problems with E. Coli.
    I do realize how serious of an issue it is.
    If Costco is continuing to blade tenderize their beef they must feel the risk is minimal.
    With that being said, no matter how minimal the risk is, when E. Coli happens to you or a family member it is serious.

I have recently became aware that there are many strains of E. Coli. Not all are deadly, Some only make you wish you were dead before you recover. A case in point, My nephew recently returned from a trip from Ecuador. On the plane trip back he contracted a parting gift of E. Coli. He was near death for the entire tip home. He was tested the next day and they confirmed E. Coli. Thankfully it was not the strain the kills people. He only thought he was going to die.

Back to the blade tenderizer, I do agree it is a lot like putting a gun to your head. As long is the chamber is blank your great. A bullet or E. Coli on the blade tenderizer is not so great.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I have a cast iron stomach and immune system is pickled from my many years of young age !!!!  Now I am 54 and rarely ever have any type of immune system problems...I owe it all to my youthful adventurous precautionary measures !!!!

I paid a whole lot of money over my 17+ years of drinking hard to get my body in the shape it's in today !!!  

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great looking ribeyes!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    I have a cast iron stomach and immune system is pickled from my many years of young age !!!!  Now I am 54 and rarely ever have any type of immune system problems...I owe it all to my youthful adventurous precautionary measures !!!!

I paid a whole lot of money over my 17+ years of drinking hard to get my body in the shape it's in today !!!  
    Never thought of it, but, that may be why I never seem to get sick or have trouble eating almost anything. Mrs TOTN is always amazed at what I'll find and eat out of the refrigerator! As far as I'm concerend, if it doesn't knock me over with a bad odor and isn't covered in slime and mold it's still good to eat!  =)
    Options
    Healthy or not they still looked AWESOME!
    Great call on the blade tenderizing though.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Healthy or not they still looked AWESOME!
    Great call on the blade tenderizing though.
    The mouse always thinks the cheese looks good too!  =)

But, yes, they do look great!
    Options
    TexanOfTheNorth  

My wife says the exact same thing !!!!

By the way...love your avatar !!!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    TexanOfTheNorth  

My wife says the exact same thing !!!!

By the way...love your avatar !!!
    Thanks, Mrs TOTN put that together for me! And, I love A Bunker. Probably because my dad does too. Growing up, we never missed an episode of AITF!

Okay; we better stop here before someone tells us to "get a room"!  =)