Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just some wings

Options
Wanted to try doing some wings indirect like I've seen some people doing here lately. I coated the wings with some corn starch, then half with honey hog and the other half with honey hog hot. Raised indirect at 450. 

They turned out really good. Its a toss up between this way and raised direct. First time with the 2 rubs, they were good, but might need to use more next time. Paired with some homemade blue cheese dressing and tots. 
XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO

Comments

• thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    Done them both ways also but I find indirect easier as far as not getting them to charred. Yours look good. 
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    looks lip smacking good from here ;)  
    Large, small, and a mini
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I like um!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Looks great. I cook them both ways and I agree indirect is 'easier' for me. Sometimes I get sidetracked prepping other stuff !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice but fan of direct. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yeah they get a little crispier going direct..maybe indirect and then direct like the last 10 min...

St. Louis, MO
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Looks great !!!!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Those look wonderful! I am also in the "direct" camp but nothing wrong with the way that you did them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Good looking wings.  I do them both ways alot.  I usually don't pick a way, rather just do whichever way comes to my head first.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great.  I also do them both ways.  If I have the time to stand around the egg and flip them I go direct.  If I am doing other things and need to leave them unattended I go indirect.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• byrne092
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt  Thats a good point, its nice to just forget about them for bit going indirect. 

Like everything else on the egg, there is always more than one way to skin a cat

Thanks everyone.

St. Louis, MO
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    That's cute, 20 wings. That is enough for me alone.
    when my buddies come over there isn't a bare spot on the grill. I used to do wings and 400f indirect and now it just drips too much grease and they sometimes catch on fire.   I have to start doing mine low and slow.
  • byrne092
    edited June 2015
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    That's cute, 20 wings. That is enough for me alone.
    when my buddies come over there isn't a bare spot on the grill. I used to do wings and 400f indirect and now it just drips too much grease and they sometimes catch on fire.   I have to start doing mine low and slow.
    Lol, 21...

Thinking about wings for the weekend and wanted to try the rubs and indirect before cooking a full batch. You had problems with fire going indirect? Only time I had issues with fire was going direct with the egg loaded up and I had wings at the normal grid height and raised

...I must have got a 1 legged chicken in my package..

St. Louis, MO