Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork help...

Options
MrWigan
MrWigan Posts: 104

Hi can someone offer me some advice please on cooking pulled pork.  Basically I set up the Egg with the plate setter legs up and 5 soaked hickory chunks at 230 and put the pork joint on at 8am.  I also used the smokiness for a couple of hours to get some Sriracha peanuts and almonds (beer nuts) up to speed and they were out of this world.

My problem is that it took 13 hours go from raw pork to pulled pork consistency and I reckon I could have kept it on for at least another 2-3 hours easily. 

Should it really take this long? I've read about using the turbo idea but does it really work or is patience king here?

Thanks in advance

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I usually go 9.5 - 10 hrs for pulled pork ( Boston Butt) at 280-300F.  Pulling butt off egg at 200-205F IT.

I think ""think"" if you were at 230F then your time for finished pulled pork seems about right to me. 

I don't normally cook at that low temp  because my results are excellent and perfect ....for me....when egging at 280-300F.

Some others who are more experienced at lower temps can help you more.

Turbo @350F would of course be faster and many give turbo a lot of praise...but I personally have stuck to the same range due to just not having the time and motivation to try it out !!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Seems about right depending on the size, especially if you didn't wrap it. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • onward_2_victory
    Options
    I'm far from an eggspert, as I've only smoked one butt (only had my BGE for 2 weeks now), but mine took an hour or two longer than I imagined as well.  The friend who walked me through mine told me it takes as long as it takes to get to temp.  I cooked at about 250 for a butt that was a little over 7lbs and it took about 13 hours but definitely turned out well in the end.  It had a nice bark, but was still juicy on the inside.
    Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BBQ takes what it takes and is done when it is done. I typically do 5-6 pound pork butts and figure about 12 hours (2 hours per pound). But it wouldn't surprise me if it took anywhere from 10-14 hours. Some of it depends on the fat content of the particular piece of meat and the length of the resulting plateau(s). I have had some pieces that blow right past the plateau range and take 8 only hours. I also had one of the smallest butts I have ever made take 20 hours and go through 3 plateaus. 

As others have mentioned you can use a foil wrap to help blast through the plateau phase. But the bottom line it is done when it is done.

Due to the unpredictability of cooking Boston butts, I now cook them ahead and plan on putting the pulled meat in FoodSaver bags. This has several advantages. 
    • Instead of trying to hit a precise time you want to eat, you simply put it on and let it cook. When it is done, whenever that is, you remove it, rest it, pull it, sauce it and put it into several serving sized FoodSaver bags.
    • The vacuum action of the FoodSaver actually serves like a super marinader. The resulting pulled pork is tastier than if I had served it right after pulling.
    • On the day you wish to use it, you heat a big pot of water to 170 degrees on the stove. This takes about 30 minutes. Then you heat the bag(s) at 170 for about 45 minutes. This low temperature doesn't cook the pork any more, it is gently warming it. If your guests run late, you can keep it at this temperature a while longer.
    • This method minimizes the unpredictability issues of making pulled pork. It makes planning your meal totally predictable. And best of all I have found the resulting pulled pork has more intense flavor. Win-Win-Win
    Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    dldawes1 said:

Turbo @350F would of course be faster and many give turbo a lot of praise...but I personally have stuck to the same range due to just not having the time and motivation to try it out !!!

Donnie

:confused: 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I did a 10 lber this weekend at 235, just bumping it up at the end and it took a little over 12 hours. I'd post pictures, but mine always look weird now on this stupid site.

No need to soak your wood, BTW.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options

Thanks guys,

I've learnt more about bbq'n in the last 4 months from reading this forum than I have from 10 years of going it alone.

Griffin I won't soak next time! 

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I did a 10 lber this weekend at 235, just bumping it up at the end and it took a little over 12 hours. I'd post pictures, but mine always look weird now on this stupid site.

No need to soak your wood, BTW.
    I'll just look for the pics in Raichlen's site.  :o
  • Laxin16
    Laxin16 Posts: 62
    Options
    That time sounds about right to me...

I started smoking mine overnight and taking it off the egg whenever it gets to temp which is always around noon. I then wrap in foil and allow to rest for a few hours as we typically have guest over around 2-3pm. This free's the egg up and allows me to cook other things on it during the party. 
  • dldawes1
    Options
    dldawes1 said:

Donnie

I guess what I meant to say is = I found a method that works perfectly for me and I don't want to stress or worry about learning something new. most of my butt cooks lately are timed and intended for some pretty big crowds and I'd hate to mess up and not find out until time to eat !!

Does that help clarify!  I don't always say what I mean !!

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    @MrWigan I just want to know more about these sriracha peanuts and almonds...thats right up my alley

The time at that temperature sounds about right.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Is that a picnic or leg cut? Lower cuts can take more time than the shoulder Boston butt cuts, they will pull and are very good, but in my experience take a bit longer, maybe 10-15%. A boneless shoulder cut is ideal for pulled pork, IMO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Ive had butts go for over 20 at that temp.  I normally cook mine around 230-250 and plan for 1.5 hours per pound.  Just have another beer and be patient.  I've cooked many many butts and I prefer the low and slow method.  Mostly because I like to have 12+ hours of drinking and "watching the egg".  One day my wife will figure out that I don't actually need to watch my egg and I'll be in trouble.  That day is not today. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with raising the temp.  I personally start out pretty low and then bump the temp up towards the end.  I will start around 250 dome temp (probably 225 grid) and by the end let it rise to 275-300.  If I am in a hurry I will foil at the end to push it across the finish line.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    +1 on @Griffin's don't soak your chunks.  Want to prove his point? Soak a chunk for as long as you normally do.  Then spit the chunk in half ... it'll only be wet about an 1/8" into the wood.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    At 230 dome temp will be closer to 205 at the grate. Normally for me at 250 dome temp butts normally go around 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. LIke it has been mentioned there are several ways around this if you prefer.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    dldawes1 said:

Donnie

I guess what I meant to say is = I found a method that works perfectly for me and I don't want to stress or worry about learning something new. most of my butt cooks lately are timed and intended for some pretty big crowds and I'd hate to mess up and not find out until time to eat !!

Does that help clarify!  I don't always say what I mean !!

I understand what you mean. I always do my ribs low and slow; in spite of what many say about doing them turbo. I'm sure the turbo'd ones turn out just fine yet, I don't ever feel inclined to try doing them that way myself.

Did not mean to offend with my post; it just caught my eye and so I commented on it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    At 230 dome temp will be closer to 205 at the grate. Normally for me at 250 dome temp butts normally go around 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. LIke it has been mentioned there are several ways around this if you prefer.

I used the BGE remote temp checker on the grate but the dome temp read about 10 degrees less using the BGE thermometer.  Thermapen had the final say on all that matters!  A great buy and something else I learnt from this forum.  Currently £36 in the UK which is only about $50. 

byrne092 as for the nuts.  Just a couple of packs of peanuts and plain almonds.  Gave them a good sprinkling of Sriracha spice mix which I got from Walmart last time I was stateside.  2 hours in the Egg on a pan with a couple of stirs.  They were seriously smoked and went down a storm with my guests the next day.

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• ILikeBigButts
    Options
    I did a 12 lb butt for the 4th and it took right at 19 hours. Also another tip I would recommend is putting the soaked chunks more towards the middle and bottom of your charcoal, and place 3-4 DRY chunks at the top. This will provide instant smoke that the otherwise wet chunks wouldn't (seeing as the butt will only absorb the smoke flavor for the first 4 hours or so). Just my 2 cents 
    Large BGE | Gainesville, GA

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I do enjoy a L&S @ 225 but have found a sweet spot at 265-270.  Cook time is reduced and the results are outstanding.  I also discovered something last weekend using a boneless shoulder the wife purchased at Costco.  Once out of the package the 14lb was actually cut into two separate pieces.  Once separated I was able to season the outside as well as the inside (from the deboning) then tie up.  Results were awesome with the additional seasoning.  
    Personally I see no need to soak the smoke wood.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    +1 @GATraveller I run that temp because I don't have a controller and it's easy to maintain. Also don't see the need to soak or put liquid in the pan in an egg.

Just season, cook till probes like buttah, pull and enjoy!
  • dldawes1
    Options
    TexanOfTheNorth ....No offense taken brother.   My first post did sound a little confusing after I went back and read it!!!  In short, I'm guilty of being a creature of habit !!!!