Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood

Options
I can't figure out why my bag of Rockwood had a hole in it.  Royal Oak bags never do.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I had a bag of Rockwood full of these huge pieces recently. They still cook though. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I love Rockwood!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I'd talk to @stlcharcoal about the small, skinny pieces you're getting in those bags.  This fell out of my last bag ... those are 16" blocks on which it's setting.

And the knob end is 3" in diameter.  Looking for the rest of the tree in the next bag.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Rockwood is outstanding in both size and quality. With Ozark Oak going the way of the buffalo, Rockwood now stands alone and unchallenged at the top.  I'm calling brother grim tomorrow to see if he wants to go in on another pallet or two of Rockwood.  It's well worth the price in my opinion.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You got 1 large piece in a bag? All these pieces came from one bag of fogo and I paid 75 cents a pound delivered to my door. That's a 5" oscillating sander in the pic. 3/4 of the bag is bigger than fist size. Oh and I have never gotten a split dusty bag cause they aren't paper. Last winter they went down to $28 for a 35 pound bag. Still have 3 left. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Those are huge pieces of lump!!  I bet they burned excellent.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Love my Rockwood !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    SGH said:
    Rockwood is outstanding in both size and quality. With Ozark Oak going the way of the buffalo, Rockwood now stands alone and unchallenged at the top.  I'm calling brother grim tomorrow to see if he wants to go in on another pallet or two of Rockwood.  It's well worth the price in my opinion.  
    Hey SGH....remember I'm in your state so I'll go in on that pallet with y'all. Let me know. Thanks Brother 
    Brandon, MS
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Serious question - I have burned through my first bag of RW, but have been unsure of the best way to arrange multiple long pieces.  The concern I have is leaving too big of gaps.  How do yall a range these?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Stir, pour, light, repeat. 
  • Mattman3969
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @buzzvol - just dump and light.  I'm huge fan of RW whether it be big or small pieces it doesn't matter to me.  They all burn and create heat. Some people complain about the smalls but it all burns. 

analyze adapt overcome

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SGH said:
    I inquired about getting a pallet a month or two ago and was told that none were available as all their current production was spoken for.

I guess I need to slip the door man a Benjamin to get on the VIP list. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SGH said:
    I inquired about getting a pallet a month or two ago and was told that none were available as all their current production was spoken for.

I guess I need to slip the door man a Benjamin to get on the VIP list. :)
    Or you could buy one of the many choices that are just as good if not better and cheaper. If you like Rockwood because it's neutral smoke try basques sugar maple lump. Cheaper and more neutral smoke. If you want a low and slow try fogo it's more dense so it burns way longer. I have run my mini for 8 hours at 300 on fogo lump.  fogo is also great for grilling. You ATL people I know Roswell hardware started carrying the sugar maple lump I believe it was $20 for a 20 lb bag. Dount you will ever buy Rockwood again after you try it.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
     Well, at least you've moved on from bitchin about your two bags....
  • Lit
    Options
    It was one bag. The bag my buddy with 4 eggs used doesn't count cause he has no clue what he was talking about.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Lit said:
    It was one bag. The bag my buddy with 4 eggs used doesn't count cause he has no clue what he was talking about.
    My bad.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hey SGH....remember I'm in your state so I'll go in on that pallet with y'all. Let me know. Thanks Brother 
    Hey brother, call or text me tomorrow if you are interested. 228-627-5400. Name is Scottie. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    My bad.
    Look at the pic of fogo I posted above. The best piece in a bag of Rockwood is just an average piece in fogo. Not sure why people are saying Rockwood is in a league of its own. There are numerous good lumps out there. Wicked good is another one that is top notch. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @lit I've used FOGO as well. Great product. Just catch it at the right price point. 

Jerking your chain. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    And to admit the sin............I'm using RO to good results......

I'm a heretic............... =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Lit
    Options
    @lit I've used FOGO as well. Great product. Just catch it at the right price point. 

Jerking your chain. 
    I'm gonna go make another drink and when I get back I'm gonna tell you about the bag of Rockwood i got
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Lit said:
     Wicked good is another one that is top notch. 
    Both Jakes blend and WGWW are indeed top notch charcoals. I'd slightly disagree on FOGO however. It's VERY good, but not on the level of Rockwood, either of the Wicked blends, or our dear departed Ozark Oak (RIP)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I just paid $17.99 for a bag of Rockwood. Normal price of $22.99 with a $5 off Ace coupon. RW pricing is comparable to a lot of other lump brands. Hell they wanted 17.99 for a bag of Cowboy. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Lit said:

Jerking your chain. 
    I'm gonna go make another drink and when I get back I'm gonna tell you about the bag of Rockwood i got
    Trust me when I tell ya, I've heard this one...
  • Lit
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just paid $17.99 for a bag of Rockwood. Normal price of $22.99 with a $5 off Ace coupon. RW pricing is comparable to a lot of other lump brands. Hell they wanted 17.99 for a bag of Cowboy. 
    Where is it $22.99? The ace by me wants $27. Also cowboy is$12.99 at my ace.
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Trust me when I tell ya, I've heard this one...
    He liked it, right?
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @lit - no disrespect intended but why do the larger pieces matter that much??  I've used WGWW,RW,OO,RO and BGE brands of lump. My favorites are the first 3 listed but not in that order but that is because of how clean and long they burn not because of size of lump pieces. I've had RW chunks big enough that I broke them down before I put them in my small cause I didn't think it was enough lump to cook what I wanted to cook at that given time    Just curious what I'm missing and if I need to try some other brands. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I pay $19.79 for a 20lb bag when I pick it up. No complaints for cost compared to quality in my area.  

analyze adapt overcome

• ChillyWillis
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've actually found that I need to break down some of the larger pieces of Fogo with a hammer. Just too big to burn properly in my large in a low and slow cook IMHO. I've never had issues with large lump from any other brands but some of those chunks in the 40 lb Fogo bags are HUGE. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options