Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steven Raichlen Books

Options
I have seen several of his videos and generally like what he is doing. He has quite a few books out there so can anyone guide me toward what might be his best effort?
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    This is going to be interesting....
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I'll be watching this thread as well!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    This is going to be interesting....
    I have seen several of his videos and generally like what he is doing. He has quite a few books out there so can anyone guide me toward what might be his best effort?
    I watch his shows on tv. He has some really cool grills. His shows don't go into enough detail. He makes it look easy and it always turns out perfect. He does cook somethings that I really don't have any interest in.
    I do have a few oyster grilling racks that are sold under his name. They do make it much easier to grill oysters.

I've never seen any of his books.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited June 2015
    Options

I already own APL's book and use some of his fine recipes. I was particularly interested in S R as he seems to cook more dishes than just meat. The video I saw recently had some interesting veggie dishes that looked to be good complements to the protein but did not go into enough detail to be able to duplicate them. That is why I asked about his books hoping there were more complete recipes in them.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Planet Barbecue is fantastic if you want to interject flavors beyond typical American fare. Lots of great recipes from around the world. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    I got "Hot to Grill" when I got my first gas grill, a few years before I got the Egg. For a total newbie to grilling, it was a fantastic book at the time and I gifted it to a few friends when they got their first grills.  Basic recipes, simple instructions.  But for anyone with a bit of experience, it is too basic. I also believe much of the advice in that book is simply wrong (like not using a fork to turn meat because it allows the juices to run out).  I also have a copy of his "BBQ USA" that I borrowed from a friend, and while there are couple of good recipes, I wouldn't recommend the book.   
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Sorry, it is "How to Grill" not "Hot to Grill"
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Was visiting my BIL several years ago. He handed me The Barbecue Bible and said, "Here. If you want it, it's yours. It sucks!" I laughed, but free is free so I took it. He was right.

I watched him on TV once too. Once was enough.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    The photography on his website is phenomenal.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Heeeeeere we go
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I hear he cooks a helluva ham!  ;)
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    OK, with all the "here we go" comments, I will rephrase, can someone recommend a BBQ related book with recipes that cover more than meat. Wasn't trying to start some sort of cr^p storm just wanted some alternatives.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Haha, I forgot about Raichlen's photography skills. :rofl: 

I often go to http://foodgawker.com and search for what I need. Then scroll through the pics 
    till I see one that looks good and go to the recipe. Not BBQ specific so you have to translate to egg-ese. If you have to have an actual book, I can't help.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ksmyrl
    Options
    Wasn't trying to p*ss anybody off...it's just that Mr. Raichlen has a reputation round these parts for lifting photos that do not belong to him and claiming that he cooked food that he didn't cook and posting it on his site. The very talented person who actually did the cook resides here in eggland. I'll stop there and let him say more if he wishes.

As for books, I like this one http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Living-Ultimate-Book-BBQ/dp/0848744802/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1435083254&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Southern+Living+bbq+book.

Not for techniques specifically but it has some good recipes in it. Honestly when I need a recipe these days I use the search function on this site almost exclusively. Forgive me if you already knew all this.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Have to agree with @ksmyrl I rarely cook out of books anymore as most recipes I try come from the forum or one of the websites that people around here frequent or run such as amazingribs.com, nakedwhiz.com, griffinsgrub.wordpress.com, necessaryindulgences.com etc. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I was naively unaware of his piracy and for that I apologize, as I have done some amateur photography and also had a "friend" that sells professionally lift one of my images. Just wanted more info on a book that could supply info on complementary side dishes from the Egg.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    Have to agree with @ksmyrl I rarely cook out of books anymore as most recipes I try come from the forum or one of the websites that people around here frequent or run such as amazingribs.com, nakedwhiz.com, griffinsgrub.wordpress.com, necessaryindulgences.com etc. 
    +1,2,3,4 on all the sites mentioned here.

• GregW
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Wasn't trying to p*ss anybody off...it's just that Mr. Raichlen has a reputation round these parts for lifting photos that do not belong to him and claiming that he cooked food that he didn't cook and posting it on his site. The very talented person who actually did the cook resides here in eggland. I'll stop there and let him say more if he wishes.

As for books, I like this one http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Living-Ultimate-Book-BBQ/dp/0848744802/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1435083254&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Southern+Living+bbq+book.

Not for techniques specifically but it has some good recipes in it. Honestly when I need a recipe these days I use the search function on this site almost exclusively. Forgive me if you already knew all this.

I had no idea Raichlen was using other peoples work and claiming it as his own.
    I will say to me he has a shiftless look about him. Like he got away with something.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I like the recipies in his books.  They serve as a good base.  Don't know whose real recipies they are (I never expected him to have come up with them).  They are so large and have such variety I see him more like an editor of a short story anthology than a cook.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GregW
    Options
    I like the recipies in his books.  They serve as a good base.  Don't know whose real recipies they are (I never expected him to have come up with them).  They are so large and have such variety I see him more like an editor of a short story anthology than a cook.
    That may very well be the case. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A friend gave me Planet Barbecue a few years ago. There are recipes from all over the world. Credit seems to be given to the sources for the recipes.  I leaf through it occasionally when I'm trying to decide what to cook, but I think I've only made a Moroccan lamb recipe out of it (which turned out pretty good).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I will add some actual books - Since Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe is a big egg user and spokesmodel, I love his recipes.  Anything I've cooked from his cookbooks are delish.  Plus, he's a good guy.  Give his stuff a try.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I bought "How to Grill" and "BBQ USA" many years ago at a used book sale.  They are okay and I use ideas from them sometimes.  I use his (or someone else's) "Basic Barbecue Rub" all the time on pork and chicken.

Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    I bought how to grill when I got my first grill.  Good for basic recipes and techniques.  Haven't used it for a few years 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I got How To Grill years ago when I first started grilling. Great for people who have no idea what they are doing. I guess I would say BBQ USA would be next. BBQ Bible and Planet BBQ are interesting, but have lots of hard to find ingredients or way too many ingredients. Can't recall anything I've made out of them other than the Australian BBQ Wings. Both have been sitting undisturbed for years collecting dust.

I'd search the forum or internet before buying any of his books.

And he has been known to steal pictures in the past. From me and others. He has apologized and said it won't happen again, but....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    nth78 said:
    I bought how to grill when I got my first grill.  Good for basic recipes and techniques.  Haven't used it for a few years 
    You and others have touched on this in this thread.  Honestly I find most of the grilling cookbooks (most cookbooks for that matter) to be this way.  I like using cookbooks and websites in similar fashions now mainly just looking for ideas.  When I find something I want to try I will pretty much follow the recipe to a T the first time I make it.  If I like it and want to put it into the rotation after the first time I'll just wing it, and change up ingredients to try something different and make it more to my tastes...  You know cooking.  Following recipes is pretty boring to me. 
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Griffin said:
    And he has been known to steal pictures in the past. From me and others. He has apologized and said it won't happen again, but....
    Once a thief always a thief.... 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I like to take my kids to Barnes & Noble book store.  I go straight back to the cookbook section and thumb through books I'm interested in till I find recipes that peak my interest. Then I take pictures of said recipes with my phone for future reference.  Is that wrong?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I like to take my kids to Barnes & Noble book store.  I go straight back to the cookbook section and thumb through books I'm interested in till I find recipes that peak my interest. Then I take pictures of said recipes with my phone for future reference.  Is that wrong?
    I do something similar, only I'll get books from the library.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD