Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7# Butt

Options
SteveinTracy
SteveinTracy Posts: 61
picked up a 7#er from the local store, rubbed with mustard and then some Magic barbecue seasoning. Went on the egg 2 hours ago @225 and now I wait. Will post finished pictures when done. What temp do you guys pull the butt off the egg?

Comments

• SteveinTracy
    Options
    Any idea why my temp is going down? Is this normal? Dome temp was 250 when it was 164 and now it is 220 and temp dropped to 162
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Normal, you're in the stall. Crack a cold one, kick back and relax. It may stay a couple hours while all the evaporation happens. 
  • SteveinTracy
    Options
    Ok cool. I started spritzing with apple juice when this started so I guess I will wait for temps to start raining before I spritz again
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Here's something to read while you're sipping that cold one.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks that was a very good read. It took 8 hours to hit the stall, I'm sure that is ok but what do you guys think?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    The time it what the time is; I wouldn't be concerned if I were you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Ok. It's been 11 1/2 hours and internal temp is now 160
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    You can always bump your temp to help speed things up (if time is an issue). Keep an eye things though, once you're through the stall the IT can move up pretty quickly.
    Options
    Best finish-line indicator for a butt is when the bone pulls clean.  That usually happens in the low 200's*F.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SteveinTracy
    Options
    No time restraints other then I have been up all night checking the temps every hour. I have alarms on so hopefully I will hear them if I fall asleep
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Best finish-line indicator for a butt is when the bone pulls clean.  That usually happens in the low 200's*F.  FWIW-
    Agreed... as long as there is a bone to pull!
    Yes there is a bone in there. Hopefully the meat will shrink enough for me to get my fingers on it. I'm most likely just going to pull when temp hits 203 and then wrap it for 2 hours
  • SteveinTracy
    Options
    Finally done after 16 hours
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Not out of line at 250. Looks good!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's about right......looks tasty.  Enjoy!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Fwiw I had one go over 24 hours on me one time.  It was the best one I've ever cooked. 16 hours isn't unusual for a 7 pounder. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    Options
    It's not uncommon for it to stall that long. I've had a stall for about 6 hours once when I did three 7lb butts. 160-165 is typically where I find the stall. A couple things I've done in the past if I feel the stall is taking too long or I'm running low on time is to bump the temp 25-50* or pull it and wrap it. Some people wrap at the stall and add a glaze and others just sit it out. All depends on what you schedule is and what your ideal flavor is.

Also, I typically pull between 200 and 205 but have pulled as early as 190 when I couldn't wait any longer for a work function. Pulled pork is very forgiving so you have a little less to worry about as most cooks aren't exactly the same. I see that your pork turned out great so this is just info for the future. 
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • SteveinTracy
    Options
    Last picture before it got devoured