Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question: Any one cook pork ribs as single bones?

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
The other day, as I was cooking some rib tip trimmings, it occurred to me that I had never seen anyone cook pork ribs singly. Any one ever try that?

Seems to me that it might be a good way to maximize rub flavor, but that single spares might easily over cook. Loin backs seem to have a thicker coat of meat on one side. Maybe those would work. I suppose the cook time would drop way down.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I've never really thought about it to be honest.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Try cooking them like country ribs if you insist on single ribs.  I know they will dry out faster if you do not watch them.  the fun in doing whole ribs is to keep them low and slow. However I have cooked whole ribs, St Louis and Babys around 350 f turbo in a few hours.  You just have to do them indirect and spritz and keep from drying out. Do rib side down.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Never done this, but when I cook a rack of lamb, I do like to cut into two chop sections to get better flavor on them - so there aren't any 'interior' chops.  I think two rib sections might hedge a bit against drying out but give you what you're looking for.  I always like the edge ribs myself anyway.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Someone on here mentioned they did just that.  My google skills are failing me I can't find it.  I have thought about trying it.  

Ah-ha!  Assuming this is the same @Zmokin

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64326&sid=0ae97745972f03ddcb6b2a5c8ca45735

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like cooking them in whole slabs, but country style ribs are single and you could try them first to see how it works.  I was looking at some in the store yesterday and I do some this weekend.  The wife gets tired of me always having to many left overs and 3 or 4 country style ribs I think is the way to go.  
    That way you can try different rubs on them if you like.  I am thinking of trying this out.  Jeff has some good recipes and I get emails from him on grilling and smoking.  I haven't bought his rubs or sauces yet.  To many other good one's around me to try.
    http://www.smoking-meat.com/july-11-2013-smoked-pork-country-style-ribs

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    I did country pork ribs on Sunday and they turned out great. Went indirect at 275 with apple wood, for about 4-5 hours and pulled them at about 185 (didn't cover them or anything).
    I even turned the leftovers into smoked pork rillettes.  Gonna spread the rillettes on grilled bread with some pickled veggies on top. 
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Back in my pre-Egg days of using one of those cheap bullet cookers with the water pan I always cut my spares first. Did it that way for years! Gives them bark on all 4 sides. Try it some time. Won't work for competition turn in, but for home eating they are worth it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive braised them, heres a bunch of bones, lamb, beef, shanks etc, really good braised. single lamb ribs are good too, just about an hour at 325, i buy those premarinated with garlic
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/846815/braised-leprechaun

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    My butcher sells 'em that way, not sure why but they sell 12 bb rib bones for 5 dollars. Maybe I'll try cookin em, they certainly are cheap enough.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    My butcher sells 'em that way, not sure why but they sell 12 bb rib bones for 5 dollars. Maybe I'll try cookin em, they certainly are cheap enough.
    That seems like a killer deal.  Most racks have about 12 bones and they are usually more like $12=$15 a rack.  

@IPASooner - I think that is the first time I have seen pork jelly.  It looks awesome.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments. Local store had BBs a bit less expensive than usual, so I just picked up a rack that looked a bit meatier than usual. Assuming the rain lets up some, I'll experiment this afternoon, and post back.

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA