Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Maxed (Home Made Multi Level Grilling)

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum

I've had my mini for over a week and I figure it's time to be creative. Here are a few options of cooking set-ups. I'll post each set-up as a reply so I can get the photos to match.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Brilliant!!!!!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice work.
    Seattle, WA
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    Impressive.  Most impressive.
    Best - Jack
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Thanks
    I had about $18 into the 2nd grate and all hardware. About the cheapest upgrade I've ever done when it comes to BGE accessories.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Very nice versatility with that grid setup. Nice job.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Very slick. Nicely done.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Nice job! Thanks for the ideas.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Looks great! Nice work. Any grate stability issues with the last setup (i.e., when you're cleaning the grate or moving food around on it)? 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • bigguy136
    Options

I'm not a big fan of BGE's plate setter so I figure I better make something of my own. I'll do some welding to it but I want to play with it first before making the shape permanent.

Here is what I've made so far.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Will the egg close with that setup? I was trying some configurations with raising the grate and I couldn't get that high.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • bigguy136
    Options
    @pescadorzih I used the factory grate in the raised position because it was Ø13.0 vs the webber replacement grate of Ø13.25. Using the smaller of the two allowed me to lift the grid higher.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

And another tweak. I don't like those cheap a** rubber booties they call feet so I ran to my local Ace and I found some knobs that will work for the weekend and I'll order real rubber feet for next week. Here is what I added for now.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

I ordered some new feet. These are a hard rubber, UV, gas and oil resistant. I also ordered some nice stainless knurled thumb screws.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    @bigguy136  would you mind sharing where you ordered the feet and thumbscrews from? Nice work on the extra grids and rubber feet!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • bigguy136
    Options

sancho65 said:
    @bigguy136  would you mind sharing where you ordered the feet and thumbscrews from? Nice work on the extra grids and rubber feet!!

Here is the link to the feet

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-bumpers/=xvci02

And here are the screws

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thumb-screws/=xvcimp

I went with a 10-32 thread. The screw was 3/8" long. Here are the images from the page 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    @bigguy136 Thanks for the info!! I will be ordering them in the morning!  Once again your work looks spectacular!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • bigguy136
    Options
    sancho65 said:
    @bigguy136 Thanks for the info!! I will be ordering them in the morning!  Once again your work looks spectacular!

You are too kind

I would recommend removing your MM and drilling your holes from the bottom side. If you drill from the top side, your drill will likely be tipped some and causing your drill bit to walk some.

Post some photos when you are done.

I have to say doing all these home made mods are very cheap and effective. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Rex317
    Rex317 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm thinking about adding a Minimax to my mobile camping gear. The Large stays on the porch. Is the short height of the Minimax the reason you're elevating the grill as much as possible? Is the meat too close to the heat even with the plate setter?
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Rex317 said:
    I'm thinking about adding a Minimax to my mobile camping gear. The Large stays on the porch. Is the short height of the Minimax the reason you're elevating the grill as much as possible? Is the meat too close to the heat even with the plate setter?

I added the 2nd level mainly for getting the food away from the plate setter. I think it was less than an inch between the food and plate setter. The raised grid also gives me a 2nd level if I need to cook more food than a single grid can hold. Also doing this, I was able to remove the plate setter and add a foil ring that is cheap to replace foil on and it cools down much quicker than the plate setter. I also didn't like how the heat came around the openings in the plate setter. I felt like I had to give up about 2" around the outer edge as my food was getting charred there. I guess that was the main thing that got me to re-evaluate the whole set-up.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Rex317
    Rex317 Posts: 2
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    Rex317 said:

I added the 2nd level mainly for getting the food away from the plate setter. I think it was less than an inch between the food and plate setter. The raised grid also gives me a 2nd level if I need to cook more food than a single grid can hold. Also doing this, I was able to remove the plate setter and add a foil ring that is cheap to replace foil on and it cools down much quicker than the plate setter. I also didn't like how the heat came around the openings in the plate setter. I felt like I had to give up about 2" around the outer edge as my food was getting charred there. I guess that was the main thing that got me to re-evaluate the whole set-up.
    Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification. Can a Mimimax do a good job with Lo&Slo smoking? What's the longest smoke I can expect to get out of a full load of lump in the Minimax?
  • bigguy136
    Options
    So far my MM has been a quick light and cook. I would love to see how long it can go but I just haven't had anything to try yet. I do recall others saying 6 hours.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    Options
    Here is what i made for the MM, the 2nd grid is from a BGE Mini
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!