Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear article

Options
jcaspary
jcaspary Posts: 1,479
Since I don't plan on going that far to get a steak I guess I will stay with the reverse sear.   Always works. 

http://barbecuebible.com/2015/06/05/reverse-searing-godsend-or-gimmick/#.VXb7AXtRcxM.facebook
XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
Joe- Strongsville, OH

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    That's interesting and it looks like something else I will have to try.  I've always thought that a T-bone was the hardest steak to cook to a consistent temp because the periphery cooks faster than the meat next to the bone.  Standing it on it's end on the bone and letting the bone conduct a good portion of the heat might be the answer.  I'm not going to totally buy it based on the linked article, but when I get a chance I'll try it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• djmsalem
    djmsalem Posts: 46
    Options
    Raichlen's piece is as big a load of crap as I've ever seen from him. He didn't taste one of Colby's steaks cooked via reverse sear and still he's sure that Colby's method turns out a steak that's more "alive." Yet both are cooked briefly at a screaming hot temperature, and for the rest of it, the techniques are pretty close to the same.

There are plenty of great ways to cook a steak, and I say that whatever works for you is the best way. And I like to try new ways because I'm always looking for something better and I like to play around with technique.

But some hot-ticket chef writing a new page in the beef Kama Sutra cooking his prime, organic, 21+ day aged, grass-fed, grain-finished Black Angus doesn't make reverse sear a gimmick, nor should it matter that it doesn't seem to be an important way of cooking in the big meat cultures. And I have no idea what Raichlen's getting at when he says, "...what if the much-touted benefits of reverse searing came at a price?" What price? He just lays that out there and leaves it.

And then at the end, all he can say about the difference between Colby's method and reverse sear is that Colby's way has more vigor, whatever that is -- although, again, he didn't compare two pieces using the different methods.

If I want vigor, I'll kiss my wife. But if that's all the difference between Colby's fussy method and reverse sear, then let me tell you what Colby's method sounds like to me:

A gimmick.
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, CyberQ, Ash Kicker, SmokeWare SS Chimney Top
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @djmsalem, he ask at the end if is gimmick or godsend, but yet he gives a way to cook a tri tip reverse sear above in the article.  He is either talking out of both sides of his mouth or just trying to get people to visit his BBQ site I think.  The method takes to long for my.  I will stick to hot and fast if time is an  issue or reverse sear when I have the time.  I like both, but reverse sear seems to bring out more of the flavor in the meat.   

@Foghorn, I usually don't have to much trouble cooking a t-bone, other then the strip gets a little more done then the filet.  My wife gets the filet which it at medium the way she likes it and the kid gets the strip at a little medium well.  He doesn't care, because he dips it in ketchup.  I find that a porterhouse is easier to cook then just a normal t-bone.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.