Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman Method

Options
Tbla
Tbla Posts: 57
Just saw the video on Caveman Style cooking.  Thanks @hapster.      Have many people tried this on the BGE.    It looks like fun - but I still worry about the results.    Does it have a strong "char" taste?
Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Interestingly enough, it has less char than the grill marks from a CI grid. Tastes fine. Makes for good conversation too... while you're picking the lump off the steaks. =) It tends to stick.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Never have had the "lump stick" issue or any other draw-back.  About the simplest steak cook out there-and great results.  Some guests may have an issue-shield them from the process as they will appreciate the eats!  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I may have posted this before, but General Eisenhower was a grill nut.  He loved to do porterhouse steaks that way.
    He said, he really loved the looks on his guests faces when he dropped the steaks on the coals.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    That's now my go-to method for steaks. Here are a couple of pictures of some sirloins that I did caveman style.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A couple of tips on caveman:
    1) The steak doesn't cook as fast as you think it will as the meat seems to cool down the coals.
    2) You want to do this when the coals are bright orange and before they get too ashy as it is possible to get ash on the meat.

@clintmiller clearly has it down.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Just did this 2 nights ago....  Once u try it u will be amazed!
  • Tbla
    Tbla Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and especially the pics.   I'll try this next round of steaks.   
    Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    BTW, my technique is cook at 275 indirect until the steak internal temperature hits 115. Then pull the steaks off. Get the grill somewhere between 700 and 800 and throw the steaks directly in the fire for 90 seconds per side (leaving the lid open for this phase).
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Still the best ribeye I ever cooked was caveman.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    What Doofus said... =)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My favorite hands down is still a sear in a CI pan or skillet. But, the caveman method is right up there. I've cooked them start to finish caveman and they came out beautiful. I like the lump bed as even in heat as possible and then I rake the coals to get a nice flat surface (doubt that matters much but, that's how I do it).  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Cooked my first a couple weeks ago.  Go thick, give it a try and you will be rewarded with much joy!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow