Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-OT I met an egghead

Options
Do I had to spend all afternoon bouncing from doctors office to doctors office as the poked prodded and tested away.  The highlight of the day was meeting a fellow egghead in one of the waiting rooms.  That isn't that unusual but what he uses his egg for is.  About 50% of his egg cooks involve smoking organic meats to be made into dogfood.  Now don't get me wrong, I love my dog to death.  He's my only child.  However,  I have never thought about cooking his meals for him.  Have any of you? 
1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nope. My dog is allergic to grain so I buy grain-free food, but she doesn't get anything from the table. She's a dog, not a child. I'd  cook her something if she was sick. Most often I'm just keeping her from eating "kitty snickers" and used diapers/tampons.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @Eggcelsior Lol.  I buy my boy the grain free dogfood as well.  He isn't allowed to have table scraps either.  

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    We had a  Jack Russell terrier that was allergic to everything. He had to get monthly allergy shots and the occasional steroid to calm down the itching and inflammation. My wife used to cook for him daily.he was the only member of the family that ever had lamb.
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    @ryantt that seems reasonable.  This guy just thinks this is the healthiest thing for his dog.  There aren't any allergy problems. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Here you go for dog treats on the egg:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/507022/dog-treats-wings 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My sister is a veterinarian and cooks for her dogs.  As for me?  We buy good quality dog food, but it's still opening a bag and pouring.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    We do occasionally - if our dog gets sick she does really well with boiled chicken and rice, it seems blander than regular dog food.  Also, she despises pill pockets, so when we need to give her pills I'll grill some chicken breast that we can cube up and use to hide the pill.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    My brother in law's father cooked for his 2 bulldogs everyday. He would boil chicken for them. The girls at the grocery store always joked that "Mr. Billy" feed his dogs better than most people.

Billy had a heart attack and died two weeks ago I got there right after the ambulance. Saddest day I have had in a long time. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Diabetic dog here!  Two shots a day and cooked chicken and rice.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    a cup of blue wilderness, a slice of bacon, and a fried egg daily. the blue wilderness must pack a punch because my britt puts some miles on daily and thats all he needs to maintain a weight. purina treats killed my last dog, no more store bought treats
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have tired to keep from feeding our new pup food from the table and that has worked, but if there is a little cooked hamburger or some small scraps, she will get a little mixed in her food, but it isn't her main source of food.  I was bad about my other dogs in letting them have everything I did mostly from the table.  So far she doesn't, but she still begs and doesn't get feed tell we are done.

@fishlessman, some store bought treats are ok, you have to read the bags and know what you are getting.  Purina IMO is not very good for your animals.  If I give our dog a treat it is more natural and not processed.  I am trying to follow the same thing in my diet.  Processed food is cheep in price and quality.   I hear Blue Wilderness is good food so you should be ok there.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast

This is the stuff that I feed my poodle. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I have tired to keep from feeding our new pup food from the table and that has worked, but if there is a little cooked hamburger or some small scraps, she will get a little mixed in her food, but it isn't her main source of food.  I was bad about my other dogs in letting them have everything I did mostly from the table.  So far she doesn't, but she still begs and doesn't get feed tell we are done.

@fishlessman, some store bought treats are ok, you have to read the bags and know what you are getting.  Purina IMO is not very good for your animals.  If I give our dog a treat it is more natural and not processed.  I am trying to follow the same thing in my diet.  Processed food is cheep in price and quality.   I hear Blue Wilderness is good food so you should be ok there.
    they had a duck jerky i was buying, not the processed looking stuff. a bunch of dogs had complete kidney failure including mine. even from the dried sweet potatoes. i think they sold it under the canyon creek label. no more pet treats. my dog always gets the last bite, never while im eating, wont even get up til i say last bite =)
    fukahwee maine

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    a cup of blue wilderness, a slice of bacon, and a fried egg daily. the blue wilderness must pack a punch because my britt puts some miles on daily and thats all he needs to maintain a weight. purina treats killed my last dog, no more store bought treats

Used to use Iams for my cat.  Bought some blue buffalo for her when i couldn't get Iams.  she clearly likes it a lot better, and she hasn't thrown up since switching.  the BB is more expensive, but not stepping in cat barf at 4 AM is well worth it!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I quit giving my dog treats as well when I heard about some dogs having liver failure. My dog likes food from the egg. 

He hopes I drop a hamburger or chicken breast every time I cook. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I quit giving my dog treats as well when I heard about some dogs having liver failure. My dog likes food from the egg. 

He hopes I drop a hamburger or chicken breast every time I cook. 
    Mine likes to hang close when cooking, especially when its a pork butt.  Here she is hanging out when I was cooking carnitas.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    blind99 said:

Used to use Iams for my cat.  Bought some blue buffalo for her when i couldn't get Iams.  she clearly likes it a lot better, and she hasn't thrown up since switching.  the BB is more expensive, but not stepping in cat barf at 4 AM is well worth it!
    Hahaha. I don't know how I won this lottery, but my cat is also allergic to grain. She used to vomit all the time and we though it was just stress until her hair started to fall out(her undercoat basically fell out and you could see her skin). At that point we took her to the vet and he determined that the grain in her food wasn't agreeing with her(cats are obligate carnivores), so we switched to grain-free canned food and she received a steroid injection. No issues since beyond the occasional hairball puke.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hmm, I pay $72 for a 28 pound bag of prescription food for "joints and mobility".  Perhaps there's a better way.

We did go through (pre-egg) tons of oven baked chicken breasts and green beans for the our two Golden's when we knew the end was coming. Our current rescue Golden LOVES spatchcock breast meat - sans skin and dizzy, of course. He'd eat it for every meal if he could. 

He even knows what " You wanna pick some chicken" means! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    My brother in law's father cooked for his 2 bulldogs everyday. He would boil chicken for them. The girls at the grocery store always joked that "Mr. Billy" feed his dogs better than most people.

Billy had a heart attack and died two weeks ago I got there right after the ambulance. Saddest day I have had in a long time. 
    Ah.....

I had one of those days today. Less than 3 weeks after I walked my daughter down the isle we learned my mother-in-law's cancer has spread. The good news is she was at the wedding. I'm positive she willed her way to be there. 

Think she's been sick for a while and was in denial. The first time we heard cancer was in March. It's June 3. Just damn. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Sorry to hear that @THEBuckeye

• THEBuckeye
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sorry to hear that @THEBuckeyejohnkitchens said:
    Sorry to hear that @THEBuckeye
    Thanks

Gotta light the Egg!

Fresh Pizza and a crisp on leftover wings.......

Living life as a Batchelor 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    You know what though,  my wife really loves our dog.  Sometimes I suspect she loves him more than me.  I wonder if I could convince her that we need a second egg just so I can cook for him?  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    .  I wonder if I could convince her that we need a second egg just so I can cook for him?  
    I think you are on to somthing. Let us all know how it works out. We are right behind you! Seriously.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Hmm, I pay $72 for a 28 pound bag of prescription food for "joints and mobility".  Perhaps there's a better way.

We did go through (pre-egg) tons of oven baked chicken breasts and green beans for the our two Golden's when we knew the end was coming. Our current rescue Golden LOVES spatchcock breast meat - sans skin and dizzy, of course. He'd eat it for every meal if he could. 

He even knows what " You wanna pick some chicken" means! 
    the wilderness food has glucosamine in it, maybe even the same levels as the hills prescription food. i had a german shepard that made 18, the last three years he was on glucosamine and chondroitin tablet supplements i bought from the cvs, made a huge difference. the problem i see with a prescription diet is that they focus on one thing which is fine if theres a preexsisting problem
    fukahwee maine

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    So last night I told my wife that if we starting grilling all of my dogs food he would live longer.  She looked at me with her, "You're so full of it" look.  She said that we don't need a second egg and that she can't believe I would pull our dog into this.  I think I've lost this battle for now boys.  

• johnkitchens
    Options
    So last night I told my wife that if we starting grilling all of my dogs food he would live longer.  She looked at me with her, "You're so full of it" look.  She said that we don't need a second egg and that she can't believe I would pull our dog into this.  I think I've lost this battle for now boys.  
    Just bring it home. She will get over it. 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    @johnkitchens probably.  You know our eggdiction would make a great country song.  "I love my wife, but I love egging"