Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone spacers

mornin' all-

Pizza question for today: I made a raised grill using the ss bolts as described in the forum........puts a weber grid about 3 1/2-4" up in the dome.....when doing pizza is it necessary to still use spacers under the stone or can you just put the stone on the grid?......I'm really starting to enjoy this whole pie operation: the dough making, shaping, saucing, toppings, and baking it on the egg......all great fun!
Berlin, Maryland

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    You should be fine. If you get to high the dome will not close. You'll be adding another 1/2" or more with the stone on the grid. Be sure the thermometer stem has clearance also. 

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Stone on grid is fine. What are you using for an indirect piece?

I never used a grid. Just platesetter, spacers, then stone.
    For the past couple of years, I've just used my oven. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 905
    I'll be making pizzas today. I bought a Webber extended grid at a yard sale, never used, fifty cents. 13" diameter.
    So, for me, it's platesetter legs up with steel grid on top.
    On that, I put the small Webber grill, which raises me an inch above the felt.
    Then my pizza stone with cornmeal.

Get all that up to 600 dome temp, that will melt the cheese, I like to sauteé the vegetable toppings (shrooms, onions, peppers, whatever) before decorating the pizza with them, takes all the guesswork out - when the cheese melts, it's done.
    Pepperoni, if it's sliced really thin, is no problem.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I just put mine on the grid above the stone legs up. You are one better by raising the stone. The spacers would be redundant in this case. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Egg feet.... Boom

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

XLBGE 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,787
    You want to cook the pizza high in the dome so that the reflective heat cooks the top and bottom evenly. Ditch the grid. Put the plate setter in legs down and use some spacers to create an air gap between the PS and the pizza stone. Brass fittings, kiln posts, or small balls of aluminum foil will work. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    IMO you want the stone above the felt line aminimum of 1" and prolly not more  than 3" dependingf on the size of the stone being used. Best to have at least 1" around the stone to maintain the airflow. More air will keep the convection oven going and provide more even browning of the toppings. The other never ending discussion is setter legs up or legs down, I'm legs up.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoctorMojo
    DoctorMojo Posts: 126
    Looks Great...Not trying to be negative but I have always been told that Brass when heated to higher temps put off toxins.  Anyone else ever heard that?

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Stone on grid is fine. What are you using for an indirect piece?
    I never used a grid. Just platesetter, spacers, then stone.

For the past couple of years, I've just used my oven. :)

Thanks Carolina Q-
    I use a platesetter (legs up) in my pswoo3  ci then put on my elevated grid.  Then the stone on spacers.  I guess I could just use platesetter legs down with garden spacers I already have with the stone on top and achieve the same result......i love making those pizzas......

Berlin, Maryland
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Thanks gentlemen.....I appreciate all the advice....now all I have to do is cook a great pizza and then post pictures of the cook!
    Berlin, Maryland
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    You can place the stone on the grid or some other spacer (just make sure to have a gap from the platesetter). The key is to get the stone close enough to the dome to get the right amount of radiant heat coming off the dome. If the stone is too far from the dome, the toppings will not be done by the time the dough is cooked. If the stone is too close to the dome, the toppings will burn by the time the dough is cooked. The proper height will depend on the dough recipe, cooking temp, dough thickness, and amount of toppings. Many find the sweet spot to have the stone 2-3" above the felt line - but remember you will need to dial it in for yourself. We all make our pizzas a little different so take all the advice as a starting point and make adjustments for your personal style.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I use 7/8"-1 1/4" refrigeration copper 90°s or Ts for the air gap. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL