Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker w/ Bluetooth $129 + Free Shipping

Options
I finally pulled the trigger, I had watched these for quite some time but this deal is the best I've seen. Hopefully it is worth all the hype. http://slickdeals.net/f/7882261-anova-percision-sous-vide-cooker-129-w-free-shipping

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great price...I like mine.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    thanks for the heads up...I just bought one from Amazon and it is going back so I can get this price...I have used the unit twice and it is great...first cook was short ribs...sous vide for 16hrs at 156 and then put on the BGE for 3 hours at 250...they came out fantastic....I recommend this unit 100%
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    Argh! Thanks for the link. Bought one. Slickdeals and the egg forum combined...the 2 sites that cost me the most money.
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
    Wow great deal. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This appears to be the entry level model, as pointed out in the comment section.  It has about 1/3 less circulation rate than the next line up but is still probably perfectly adequate for most uses.  Here is a comparison chart.

http://anovaculinary.com/pages/products/

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks for posting. $45 us. to ship to Canada. all in with exchange is $216 Cdn, the $50 promo really helps. I just hope I don't get hit with duty & brokerage fees on top.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    BearQ said:
    Thanks for posting. $45 us. to ship to Canada. all in with exchange is $216 Cdn, the $50 promo really helps. I just hope I don't get hit with duty & brokerage fees on top.
    I bought two units during their Kickstarter campaign last year... US$129 each including free shipping even to canuckland.

They shipped by Fedex and I had to pay about $25 in taxes/duty per unit... could had been worse if they shipped by UPS... you may want to contact them and request that they avoid UPS, best if they ship by USPS.
    canuckland
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Linked 8 of them up to a power strip on a horse feed trough, great party tub. 
    Get the red color. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    @cannugghead I emailed them to try and get them shipped regular USPS, they said they only use Fedex because it's best for both...wonder where they got that from, sure isn't the best for me.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I got one last year for the same price during their kickstarter. Considering adding another one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    @DMW - Just curious, why would you need 2?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• DMW
    Options
    @SmyrnaGA - There have been a couple times where I wanted to cook at different temps at the same time. White meat vs dark meat (poultry), veggies at the same time as protein, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Considering another "little guy" as well for different temps. When doing a mix of protein, chicken breasts at 145 and tri-tip at 135 or to do veggie and protein at same time. 
    As I do more and more long cooks, over 24 hours, I've actually gone looking for my circulator to find it is already being used... =)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    I should not have read this post as my arm is so pliable it could easily be twisted into buying a second unit.  People in Canada could also look at the Sansaire unit -- it is $199 + $15 in shipping and it ships via Canada Post from Vancouver.  When doing the research on the Anova, the Sansaire seemed to be equally rated.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• mahenryak
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think I would have pulled the trigger at this price to add a second unit for some of the very same reasons that DMW and Skiddymarker have already cited, if it hadn't been for the shipping cost to my locale.  It would cost an additional $30 to ship to Alaska which places it just $20 cheaper than the Amazon Prime current asking price.  Still a savings, to be sure, but not enough incentive for me to make a purchase at this time.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    I think I would have pulled the trigger at this price to add a second unit for some of the very same reasons that DMW and Skiddymarker have already cited, if it hadn't been for the shipping cost to my locale.  It would cost an additional $30 to ship to Alaska which places it just $20 cheaper than the Amazon Prime current asking price.  Still a savings, to be sure, but not enough incentive for me to make a purchase at this time.
    Well, hey, at least you get paid to live there.
  • mahenryak
    edited May 2015
    Options
    never mind...

• SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Thanks to this thread, I'm $129 dollars poorer now...  Maybe I can tell SWMBO it's a stick blender and hid it in my BBQ drawer?

in Smyrna GA.

• Canugghead
    Options
    At one time I owned three: a diy red neck unit and two Anova's.  Gave an Anova to one of my kids, she just sent me picture of her dinner last night - sous vide turkey leg roulade.  I prepped, vac sealed and froze a bunch of turkey breast and leg roulades to be sous vide ready, super convenient, you can even drop it into sv bath straight from the freezer. 
     ).

canuckland
  • DMW
    Options
    @Canugghead - Tell her that looks awesome. Cooking from frozen is one of my favorite things about sous vide.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks @DMW .  Indeed, great for defrosting and reheating too.
    canuckland
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    I ordered this on Wednesday and my tracking information shows that it will be here tomorrow. What should be the first thing I cook with the Anova on Sunday? By the way the sale is through 6/21.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Belmont, NC

• SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Anyone tried pre-smoking food at a low temp before vacuum sealing?  Or maybe pre-searing?  It would be great for parties if it's ready to serve directly from the water bath...

in Smyrna GA.

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Anyone tried pre-smoking food at a low temp before vacuum sealing?  Or maybe pre-searing?  It would be great for parties if it's ready to serve directly from the water bath...
    Yep tried this. I prefer searing after. I find when you sear before, the texture of the meat is a bit different. Also, any crust you've built up during the sear usually get a soggy. Just my experience and preference. Others will differ, I'm sure. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I broke down
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Thanks @bweekes , I'll still try to smoke some on low before and see if I can tell a different or just wasting my time.  If I can get a smoke flavor that way, I might "paint" the meat with a torch afterwards just for presentation.

Do you use a pot or a cooler?  I read a comment on Amazon someone was going to try and attach it to a cooler for longer cooks???

@henapple - I put my order in around noon yesterday and it's still "processing".  :/

in Smyrna GA.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mine came through. ..PayPal 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Well it looks like the price has dropped even more, $99 on Amazon! I'm going to call Anova and try to get my $30.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7888653-anova-precision-sous-vide-cooker-99-free-shipping

Belmont, NC

• DMW
    Options
    Well it looks like the price has dropped even more, $99 on Amazon! I'm going to call Anova and try to get my $30.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7888653-anova-precision-sous-vide-cooker-99-free-shipping

That is for the first version, the ANOVA One. You got the newer ANOVA Precision Cooler, which includes Bluetooth.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Thanks @bweekes , I'll still try to smoke some on low before and see if I can tell a different or just wasting my time.  If I can get a smoke flavor that way, I might "paint" the meat with a torch afterwards just for presentation.

Do you use a pot or a cooler?  I read a comment on Amazon someone was going to try and attach it to a cooler for longer cooks???

@henapple - I put my order in around noon yesterday and it's still "processing".  :/
    I use a 12L acrylic container (it actually came with my Polyscience unit). You can use stock pot or cooler, but need to be careful that you're not trying to circulate more water than your SV is rated for.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)