Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Kind of Sausages do you Smoke?

2»

Comments

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Sammi said:
    @YYZegger, Hogtown? Just wondering. 
    Yes, I live in Toronto! 
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    Griffin said:
    I have to say that this may be the best looking photo I have seen on this board since I first logged in. Man does that look good.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231

Griffin said:
    You really need to be careful if you are trying to smoke fresh uncooked sausage. You can really get sick ie botulism if you don't know what you are doing. Too  long at low temps in the danger zone =not good.

Most people either smoke pre-cooked sausage or grill fresh sausage.

That being said, we went through a period of making our own sausage. Our favorite was venison jalepeno cheese.
    Nice looking sausages!  Wouldn't that apply to cooking a Butt or Brisket as well, too low temps = danger zone?  
    The sausages I did were raw, no problem with getting sick from them, just way too smokey, put me off them for now.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Thank you @northGAcock that was 15 lbs of sausage smoked at 180F. Gonna have to look at my notes as I don't remember how long it took.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    YYZegger said:

Griffin said:
    You really need to be careful if you are trying to smoke fresh uncooked sausage. You can really get sick ie botulism if you don't know what you are doing. Too  long at low temps in the danger zone =not good.

Most people either smoke pre-cooked sausage or grill fresh sausage.

That being said, we went through a period of making our own sausage. Our favorite was venison jalepeno cheese.
    Nice looking sausages!  Wouldn't that apply to cooking a Butt or Brisket as well, too low temps = danger zone?  
    The sausages I did were raw, no problem with getting sick from them, just way too smokey, put me off them for now.
    Ground meat is more dangerous.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    My BIL brought up some crawfish and green onion andouille sausage from NOLA at our last shrimp boil. Smoked with pecan, they were awesome. If anyone is interested, the place he got these from will ship.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Earl Campbell Hot Links.  Hard to find here in Florida, but they are great
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I love smoked sausage.  How do you know if it's done without poking a hole in the casing with a Thermapen??  When you do doesn't it allow all the rendered fat to seep out?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    YukonRon said:
    My BIL brought up some crawfish and green onion andouille sausage from NOLA at our last shrimp boil. Smoked with pecan, they were awesome. If anyone is interested, the place he got these from will ship.
    do they have a website?  you definitely have my interest
  • Anyone cook their sausage raised direct? I tend to burn these.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    This is what I purchase at Costco.
    It is beyond excellent. I grill them on the Egg on a low/medium heat. I am careful to cook them slow enough to prevent casing rupture.
    They are obviously not traditional sausages, however I've never had any Italian sausages that I like better.