Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a 5 1/2 lb. Pork Butt... suggestions?

Options
ThatGuySmokes
ThatGuySmokes Posts: 6
edited May 2015 in Pork
Hi all! I'm planning on smoking a Pork Butt tomorrow but would greatly appreciate some advice. So far I plan on going at 250 indirect. Debating between plowboys yardbird, Byron's Butt Rub or Dizzy Dust. What rub would you use and how much? Should I leave the fat cap on the bottom or remove to make more of a bark? Should I wrap at some point? I'd like to get a good bark. I've a couple picnics and I think wrapping them affected my bark. I forgot to mention I have Pecan wood, apple and hickory. Debating on what type to use as well

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Hey @ThatGuySmokes.  First off a 5 1/2 pound butt will take between 7-11 hours at that temp.  What I like to do is rub two layers of bad byrons and them dust mine with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.  I normally do it 12-24 hours before I put it on the egg.  I also inject mine but I don't know if you are planning on doing that.  Then I just put it on the egg,  fat side up or down doesn't matter, then let it cook UNFOILED until it hits an internal temp of 200-205.  Really until it probes like butter.  Just slap it on there and let it do its thing.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • ThatGuySmokes
    Options
    @Grillin_beers What temp do you use? I'm Really trying to get a good bark 
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I normally shoot for 230-260.  Just wherever the egg settles in that day.  Over the last 3 years of egg ownership I've probably cooked 100-110 butts.  I can promise you that you really can't screw it up as long as you cook it long enough.  Don't get nervous when it stalls.  Your first stall will feel like an eternity.  You'll be tempted to bump the temp or to foil it.  Don't.  Just let it go and drink another beer. Any other questions please don't hesitate.  Also put 5-6 fist sized chunks of wood.  I prefer pecan but apple or peach are just as good.  

• ThatGuySmokes
    Options
    Thanks @Grillin_beers should I worry about spritzing it?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thanks @Grillin_beers should I worry about spritzing it?
    If you are cooking it on a BGE, spritzing offers very little. However by the same token it doesn't hurt a thing either if you should chose to do it. It just isn't necessary nor very beneficial on a ceramic style cooker. However if you are using a large offset which uses live fire and a significant draft, then it's a totally different ball game my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I don't mess with spritzing it.  I used to have a drip pan with a beer and some apple juice in it.  I don't think that adds very much to it though.