Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Azbill
Azbill Posts: 26
Usually cook whole chicken with CI Vertical Roaster . Tried Spatchcock indirect at 375 done temp eith taters underneath to catch drippings . Awesome moist and tasty Chicken finger lickin good !!!

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Spatchcock rocks. Looks great, AzBill!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks delicious.  
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Looks great. Love taters under the protein, they rock!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Man that looks great. That bird just beckons to me!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    With the potatoes, did you put them on the same time as the chicken?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Azbill
    Azbill Posts: 26
    Options
    Put them on while egg was getting going covered with foil . Once egg got to temp put chicken on and pulled foil from potatoes .
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    I'm planning on trying my first Spatchcock this weekend. @azbill is it safe to cook potatoes under the chicken? Won't the drippings make you sick? How long did the chicken take at 375? This looks awesome...
    Denver, CO
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm planning on trying my first Spatchcock this weekend. @azbill is it safe to cook potatoes under the chicken? Won't the drippings make you sick? How long did the chicken take at 375? This looks awesome...
    The drippings will not make you sick. The 375* will take care of any such issue.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks great @Azbill and welcome to the forum. 

I did a very similar cook last night

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Very nice! I need to try taters under the chicken...
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois