Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Help

muhleebbin
muhleebbin Posts: 1
edited May 2015 in Baking
I've tried making pizza twice now and each time the first pizza comes out burnt to a crisp on the bottom but any pizza's made after the first one, they come out perfect.  Any suggestions on what to do with the stone prior to the first pizza?  Hate wasting good dough for a trial run.

Setup was different each time, first time used the plate setter feet down with grid on top then pizza stone.  Got egg up to 600 then placed the stone for a good 20 minutes.  Second time used a grill spacer to bring the grid up to level with the gasket and used direct heat with stone on top.  Let the stone sit for 45 minutes at 600 because I read elsewhere that it can take the stone quite a while to reach a good temp.

Last pic the dang crust blends in with the countertop  :anguished: 

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Sounds like heat had not stabilized in either cook. You will get varying results from pizza to pizza in a cook if you do not have stable conditions. Use the plate setter to create an indirect heat. Make sure there is space between the plate setter and the pizza stone. Let the ceramics soak up heat for a while (at least 45 min, hour would be better). Make sure the stone is high enough to pick up radiant heat coming off the dome (if not the bottom will burn before the pizza top is done).  Make sure your dough is designed for 600°. You may want to try lower temps until you get your egg setup dialed in.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    My first pizza cook was at about 500f dome temp and a pre-cook soak time w/stone in place of nearly an hour.

Perfect results from the git-go.     Cook time about 15->20 minutes.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Think the second pizza had a cooler stone when the first pie sacrificed itself tempering the too hot stone. Try wiping the stone with a damp cloth, not wet, to cool it a bit before the first pie hits it. Other approach is don’t put the stone in for so long, try 15 minutes rather than an hour for a ½” stone, 25 for a thick one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • moo4me
    moo4me Posts: 37
    Go with platesetter legs Up, grid, and then raised grid. I also then make 4 small little aluminum foil balls for the stone to sit on, on top of the raised grid. You want the pie high in the dome and need to ensure good air flow on the bottom side of the stone. I would not recommend that the stone be directly above heat for pizza.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    It's like first pancake syndrome, can't explain it, it's just that way with the first pizza.
  • Scandi_egg
    Scandi_egg Posts: 1
    Setup with the platesetter legs down and then three or four aluminum foil balls between the platesetter and the pizza stone, never had a burned pizza bottom.
    BGE-L
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I check the temp with an IR gun.  If it is higher than my target temp, I used a soaked (and mostly rung out) wash cloth on the stone to back the temp down a bit.  Ive done this several times, it has not broke or cracked my BGE pizza stones.  I make no warranty for others trying it tho.   :o
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    want to get the grid higher into the dome?
    Try THIS.    I cut fire bricks in half and use them to prop UP the grid an additional inch or so.    The plate setter will STILL fit into the right place as long as you leave the gaps for the fire bricks OPEN.  

Works on my XL

Also, I use Corn Mean to 'lubricate' the stone and also provide a little space so the crust doesn't burn.
  • JagerMan
    JagerMan Posts: 11
     I just did my first pizzas this weekend. They turned out pretty darn good. I started the first one with higher temp and it's stuck to the stone. Knocked the next two down to 450 to 500° and they cooked perfectly.  Used cornmeal on the stone and also spatula for easy moving. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    First  and foremost welcome aboard. Using a damp (not saturated)  dish towel make a quick swipe over the stone cooling it only slightly on the surface.  Of course make sure all the regular set-up is the same»»» PS legs down W/ an air gap between the PS & stone. Also parchment paper wouldn't hurt. After a minute or two you can yank the parchment paper out. Hopefully this helps you out. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL