Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

50lbs of pork butts on XL - Timing?

Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
I have 6 bone-in pork butts.  I trimmed them, injected them, and rubbed them last night.  The plan is to begin serving them tomorrow at 5:30 PM. This time is non-negotiable.  Each butt is ~8lbs.

My issue is I have a wedding today at 4:30 and plan to be back home by 9 PM.  I have the XL all loaded and ready to go.  As soon as I get back I will light the fire get the temp to 250 and put the butts on at 10 PM.  This gives me 19.5 hrs.

I will have them on two levels.  I plan to put the slightly larger ones on top and the smaller ones on the bottom.

I will have them run at 250 until morning then bump them to 300.  I also plan to wrap.  Usually when I cook doubles I get done in ~12hrs.  I figure this gives me 7.5hrs of wiggle room.

Is that reasonable?  If I did not have the wedding I would start at 6-7PM, but I don't have that option unless I miss the reception and dinner, which is poor form.

Any thoughts?

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments